I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Private Microwave Challenge
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 30, 2013 07:46PM

It is not a scam...it does work. It is not greed, it is part of the best you can build. They are super smooth, well built and work great. Build one and you will see.

On another note, if you have not built with them and you are not sure about them yourself, why would you advertise them? Don't take this wrong, I think is great you are offering them, but maybe you should convince yourself before recommending them.

Please try them, you will like them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 07:49PM by Don Morse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 08:33PM

Bill,
Don't get too excited.
Look at it this way.
An automobile is a device to get you from point a to point b.

There are many different brands and models being sold.

But, at the end of the day, except for some special purpose vehicles, the vehicles all get you from point a to point b.

But folks buy new vehicles all of the time.
Do they buy a new vehicle to make a dealer ship rich?
Do they buy a new vehicle because their current one does not work?

Likely they buy a different one, because they WANT a different one.

So, you can make the same analogy to the many different fishing rods on the market, including new ones that might come out each year.

If a person has a fishing rod, does he buy a new one, because the old one is not doing the job?

Likely he is just looking for an excuse to buy himself something unique and different, that will do a great job of catching a fish.

Clearly, the microwave rod has a different feel, and a different sound when using the rod. Does this make the rod better or worse than a former rod. No, not at all.

It just makes it different.

Being different or unique is a very very big reason why many folks choose to buy something other than what they already have. i.e. a unique tool to do the same job in the same way with a different sound and feel.

Seems like a great reason to ask a custom rod builder to build me a microwave rod.

The same reason that folks who have had a gray car for years, go out and buy a red car for their new car. It is something unique and different for their particular historical use of the item.

Enjoy these small changes in life that continue to make life more interesting.

As an old sage said so many many years ago, "Variety is the spice of life" .

Enjoy the variety and the change that happens.

Be safe and have a happy Easter Sunday.

Roger

Date: March 30, 2013 08:40PM

Well said Roger, happy Easter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 30, 2013 09:11PM

i am not going to get into this

HAVE A NICE EASTER

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 01:17PM

Hi All,

Saw this and thought I’d speak up.

Seems that some may feel that the MWG’s are a gimmick only, well they aren’t and they are certainly not a scam.

We’ve spent an incredible amount of time developing the MicroWave guide system. We did this to make sure we went to market with something that absolutely delivers benefits. The reason we offer this product in an exact design, as complete sets and with exact guide locations is to provide a simple system that will absolutely perform as advertised. Exhaustive testing has been done with staff, rod builders and most importantly, skeptics. All have been impressed with the MicroWave guides and what they offer. So much so, that we have taken them around the world in the form of the “MicroWave Challenge”. We have found this approach to be the most effective way of demonstrating the difference between the most successful guide layout used(Cone of Flight). It’s also the best way to make sure that all the factors such as line, lure weight, rods etc. remain constant for comparison. We can also point out that in order to realize the benefits one may have to adjust casting styles. By that I mean you cannot whip cast the MWG rods like one might with a COF rod. Using less energy and elevating the cast will allow the MWG system to excel in only 1-2 casts for the tester. None of this happened by chance but through prototyping, trial & error and step by step development until we arrived at the winner that there is no doubt the MicroWave Guide Line Control System is.

From my point of view there are only 2 points to prove:

#1. The MicroWave Line Control System works. - This has been proven already through the MicroWave Challenge and testing by AT and skeptics against everything used on manufactured rods as well as other popular custom guide configurations. This point has been decided 9 months ago and is demonstrated almost every day in the field and using the MicroWave Challenge.

Some of the benefits this system delivers are:

Line control – This system chokes/tames/controls(use any terminology) line in the first guide and maintains it though out the entire set.

Additional distance – the amount can vary based on line type, lure weight, blank used and most importantly casting style. We have found the more one casts with this system the more they fine-tune their casting style allowing greater benefit of the MWG’s.

Increased accuracy – Using less power during the cast allows more emphasis on targeting. Increasing or maintaining distance can be done using less effort.

Less fatigue – Less power to cast means more casts for the same fatigue level.

Rod balancing – The weight of these guide sets allow a rod to balance better. They distribute the weight to the areas that make a rod feel good in hand. Although the MWG’s weigh less than all measured comparable sets it does take proper distribution to enhance the good in hand feel. This said, one can always make a set that weighs less or find a blank that is difficult to balance but right out of the bag the MWG’s are awesome.

I can certainly go on with more benefits but these are the big ones and I’ll cut it short with this last one,

Performance - Simply controlling line as quickly and efficiently as possible adds to performance of any blank. Reduction of vibration and friction allows the blank material to load and recover more naturally. Reduced & distributed weight on the blank also allows the material to function better. In addition, reducing the force in the cast means the blank material can load and dispense the energy during the cast.

In conclusion, like I said this debate has been over for quite some time. If you are unsure, I would encourage you to take the MicroWave Challenge with our AT staff at one of the many shows we participate in or as many do on a daily basis, stop by our office. Obviously if you are not in the area or do not go to shows then by all means call us directly and we’ll help you set up your own Challenge.

#2. The MicroWave Line Control System sells – This is the point that has been addressed in these “MicroWave Challenge” posts. When using the word “sell”, commerce comes to mind, however I view this as consumer acceptance. In the larger picture, the consumer is the angler that may or may not be in the market for a new fishing rod. The question was will the MWG’s sell on a rod? The answer has been that they will actually SELL the rod. After 33 years in this industry, I cannot remember when a guide set was the reason for commissioning a rod to be built or spurred a reaction sale to this degree. The consumer shows not only acceptance for the product but creates demand for rods using the MWG’s. We get calls daily for info on how can a fisherman get a rod with the MWG’s. Gary Gillet of MudHole Custom Tackle reported that he sold TWO complete beginner rod kits w/instructional DVDS’s, including wrapping machines to learn to build rods only because the anglers could not find an MWG rod available. The enthusiasm demonstrated here is not uncommon as many of our ProStaff and smaller rod builders have attested to. Tom Kirkman hit the nail on the head that if you are not taking advantage of an opportunity right in front of you then you are leaving money on the table. But even if you don’t sell rods, why one would not take advantage of a new technology is puzzling. I can tell you though the consumers/anglers are not confused, they are sold.

I’ll conclude this novel because I am off for a family Easter fishing trip, using MicroWave guide rods of course. We use these rods at least 3-4 times a week because they work well, which is the same thing I hear from many satisfied anglers. No gimmick can draw that kind of response if it didn’t work. Some may simply not want to use them for whatever reason which is fine, but one cannot deny the 2 points mentioned above.

If you have questions, want information about the “Challenge”, or even want to debate the system, feel free to give myself or Ben Stein a call. (800)516-1750.

Happy Easter to all,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: March 31, 2013 01:48PM

Thanks Darrin.....happy Easter

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 31, 2013 05:35PM

I appreciate all the input. I bought a set and smiled when I weighed them. But then I saw the advertised weight is lower than my actual measurement.

The American Tackle website states 5.7g for the Microwave set, but my accurate little electronic scale measures 9.66g for the black nanolite set. That's still pretty good. I also weiged two Fuji NGC guide sets - both are CYAG with MKOG runners that I had in my ready bin for two builds. The 25-16-8 set weighed 12.3g and the 20-10-5 set weighed 7.22g.

So even at 9.66g the MW set is pretty light. And it should be noted that both of my NGC sets were weighed with 4mm running guides while the Microwave set is 5mm. Not too shaby for a guide train with 5mm runners in my opinion.

Edit: Spelling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 09:57AM by Chuck Mills.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster