I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4wt Switch
Posted by: jon tobey (---.captaris.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 12:29PM

Looking to build a 4wt switch rod to fish for trout in high mountain lakes where there is no room to back cast and they get deep so quickly they are impossible to wade.
I was looking at MHX blanks and while they don't have a 4wt switch, they have 4 wt 10' blank. Anybody built a switch rod on this or have any other experience in this category?

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4wt Switch
Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 01:48PM

You might check out Batson Rainshadow switch blanks at Utmost. they come in 5 to 8wt, but are in single hand weights (unlike most other switch blanks). I have build and 8wt, I just finished but have yet to get it on the water. I am in the process of building a 5wt as well for trout. They seem like nice blanks, they are straight and I like the color.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: March 25, 2013 05:44PM

I haven't built a switch rod out of it, but my single hander MHx 4wt 10' has an ERN of 5.4, AA of 70, if that helps.

Date: March 25, 2013 05:46PM

I looked at those but a 5wt seems like overgunning for these fish where a 10" is large. I'd actually go to a 3wt if I could find one.

jontobey@yahoo.com

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 05:53PM

The Batson 5wt is a like a true 5wt single hand rod. Most switch rods are two line witghts heavier than a single handed rod. A 4wt switch would be like a 6wt single hander. There are few switch rods with a lower grain window. Gary Anderson is building a 2wt switch I believe? If you are not casting long distances I would think that any longer 3 or 4wt single handed rod would work, you might even put on a removable butt section. If you are going to want to cast any distance or use for bigger fish I would want to build on a switch blank.

Date: March 25, 2013 05:57PM

Distance is the goal. To cast into these lakes with no backcast is really challenging.
I saw a demo for a Zpey 4wt switch where they were casting 70', I want to make a rod that can do that.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2013 08:09AM

Switch Rod blanks and Fly Rod blanks are two different animals, I know a blank is a blank and it does not know what its is going to be when it is built out. The difference lies in the fact that Switch rods are typically 2 line weights heavier if you are going to single hand cast them and if you are going to use a Spey 2 Hand style of cast then you use the grain window to determine what type of line will load the rod for a distance cast.
That MHX 10ft blank is better suited to be used as a Euro Style Nymphing rod. I would look into these blank manufacturers: R.B. Meiser, CTS and Beulah. As well as Switch Blanks, you might want to try a shorter 12'-6" Spey blank in the lower line weights. I think a couple of them also offer a blank that is just over 11ft and carries a 5wt rating. I know Meiser has a 3/4wt Switch.
I would give a call to Bob Meiser and explain to him what you are looking for, he is one the most knowledgeable people on the planet when it comes to Switch and Spey rods. I have built a couple of CTS Switch rods, mostly 5wt and 6wt, they are cannons when you use a Spey style cast. I also own a Beulah 4/5wt Switch that works very well. Several of my buddies that are devote Spey guys love their Meiser rods.
My Beulah 4/5 Switch is a bit heavy for small trout, but it does handle larger trout and smallmouth bass a lot better when you are swinging flies with it.

Posted by: jon tobey (199.233.178.---)
Date: March 26, 2013 11:42AM

I have found Bob to be remarkably helpful in the past and was looking at his blanks as well as the Beulah's, so perhaps I will give him a call. Just easier to go to the board than to make a call from work! Plus, I had not stumbled across the CTS blanks, so thank you on both counts. I have steered away from them in the past because of expense, but I know they make a great blank.

jontobey@yahoo.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 10:29PM

Jon,
I would be happy to help you with CTS blanks now - or in the future. I am a sponsor on the left side of this site.
Yes - they are relatively expensive - but nothing compares.

Delivery time is 4-6 weeks from the factory which will build you any length, line weight you wish.

A #3 switch rod is not a problem.

I am having a 12'3", #2 two-handed blank build as we speak. BTW - it was mentioned by a prior contributor that a switch blank is different than a fly blank. A switch rod has a full flex butt with a very strong tip section - approx. 400% firmer than a SH rod. It is designed to cast both anchor-point and overhead. If you are not going to cast OH you may want a Scandi action and not a Switch. Conversly - switch blanks are not restricted to 10'6" to 11' blanks. I have a 13'6" #11 switch.
hnlcustomflyrods
U.S. Distributer for CTS Fly Blanks.
hladen@hotmail.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 10:43PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.sea.wa.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 10:43PM

I actually did some research on CTS adn I'm pretty much sold on the blank for my purposes. Where are you located ? I would love to cast that rod!
BTW, that makes CTS about the coolest company on the planet. I think they did something similar for my friends when they were filming Trout Bum Diaries.

jontobey@yahoo.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 10:48PM by jon tobey.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2013 12:04PM

Jon,
MHX has designed an 11' 4wt switch blank and they have been tested and are currently being manufactured. We are expecting to have them in stock by mid April.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: March 27, 2013 01:31PM

Well, Todd, I'm also a big fan of your blanks. So please let me know! Suddenly I have a plethora of choices....Any idea on the price point?

jontobey@yahoo.com

Date: March 27, 2013 02:27PM

it will be the same as the FSW115

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: March 27, 2013 02:36PM

I very nearly ordered that blank, so I appreciate the heads up!

jontobey@yahoo.com

Date: March 27, 2013 02:48PM

Jon,
If you should decide upon the 114 get give me a call and I can place one on order for you so it is shipped immediately upon arrival.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster