I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Type of epoxy
Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 01:56PM

I have used flex coat epoxy and seemed to be fine. Where I live we do not have anyone who carries rod building supplies, so I have to order everything. I am looking for an epoxy for gluing cork handles and reel seats that I can get locally. I tried some from the craft store and was not impressed, it is runny and takes a long time to cure. Hard not to get leaks somewhere. I have glued a couple handles with gorilla glue epoxy. I like everything about it. When I looked at the reviews they were mixed. Not sure if it is the epoxy or operator error? It is also not waterproof? So looking for suggestions on what you have has good success with and is water resistant good enough or does it need to be waterproof?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Type of epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2013 02:11PM

Gorilla Glue is a moisture curing urethane, not an epoxy, unless they've come up with such a thing under their name very recently.

Any 2-part epoxy, liquid or gel, is fine for most rod building chores. Devcon 2-ton epoxy is a commonly available product that works fine for more rod building chores.

Stay way from the paste type epoxies as they're a bit harder to get in place and do not allow for the proper close fitting assemblies.

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 02:54PM

Gorilla glue does have a 2 part epoxy. It only come in smaller tubes, other than that it was easy to work with.

[www.gorillatough.com]

Date: March 25, 2013 03:45PM

It would be fine f you can can work within the short 5 minute set time. Sometimes you pay more when buying in smaller quantities but that's about the only real drawback.

Check your supplier for the Devcon stuff, slow cure type, and see if that suits you better.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 03:59PM

You can thicken epoxy at home with corn starch (also other household items). Run an experiment with your craft store stuff and see how it sets up. It is best to thicken with something along the lines of a colloidal silica, but other 'flours' around the house will work in small quantities.

Of course it would be best just to order the correct epoxy online and have it delivered.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 04:34PM

The big box hardware stores (orange and blue respectively) carry a couple of different 5 minute epoxies that are good for adhesive purposes.

Devcon seems to be the most common and the one I prefer - as they usually have it in 1 pint kits (1/2 pint squeeze bottles) instead of small tubes
It is fairly thick already

Date: March 25, 2013 04:52PM

Temperature plays a large role in how thick or thin a liquid epoxy is. What's thick at 60F will be thin and runny at 85F.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 05:17PM

Here is a very nice epoxy with a nice slow drying time to allow for construction setup before the glue sets.
It is also very economical at $1.46 per oz.

This is a pair of bottles - 16 oz in each bottle for a total of 32 oz of glue for $47.

Any glue does have a certain shelf life. So, if you don't plan on doing a fair amount of building, you may find that this set of containers is too large for your use, before the shelf life expires:

[www.homedepot.com]

The specifications on this glue indicate an 18 month shelf life.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 12:38AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 06:08PM

Just go to any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot an any other chain that may be in your area. Buy any kit of two part epoxy whether it's 5 minute or 30 minute. Prep your handle assembly, mix it up, glue your grips together and and let cure. No worries, no hassle and you're done.

Lance

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 06:09PM

I use Kar Dol, Its not easy to find 2 part paste Epoxy

Found it for $38.00 Quart kit Email for link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2013 11:35AM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Date: March 25, 2013 06:47PM

Kar Dol gel epoxy is a good product, somewhat similar to RodBond.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 09:13PM

I use Devcon 2 part for "gluing" grip and reel seat to blank and find it to be a good product. Titebond III is what I use for gluing the cork rings together. It has a 30 minute working time so you don't have to be in a rush. I let it set over night and then turn on the lathe the next day.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 25, 2013 10:36PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a very nice epoxy with a nice slow drying
> time to allow for construction setup before the
> glue sets.
> It is also very economical at 1.46 cents per oz.
>
> This is a pair of bottles - 16 oz in each bottle
> for a total of 32 oz of glue for $47.
>
> Any glue does have a certain shelf life. So, if
> you don't plan on doing a fair amount of building,
> you may find that this set of containers is too
> large for your use, before the shelf life expires:
>
>
> [www.homedepot.com]
> 03565720&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&M
> ERCH=REC%2d%5f%2dNavPLPHorizontal1%2d3%2d%5f%2dNA%
> 2d%5f%2d203565720%2d%5f%2dN
>
> The specifications on this glue indicate an 18
> month shelf life.
>
> Roger

You might want to check your math, that is $1.46/oz ($47/32oz) and not 1.46 cents.

Chet

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2013 12:39AM

Chet,
You knew that that was what I meant to type!!
By the way, I had checked it twice before writing it down. I just put in cents rather than $

Thanks for the correction.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.346.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 27, 2013 12:02AM

Epoxy has to be the cheapest part of any build just buy the right stuff in the flavour you like from the suppliers left. Really whats it work out maybe a couple of dollars per build.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster