I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork or eva
Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 12:19AM

which one do you all prefer and why. I like cork because of the feel and i have not found a way to clean foam. If you get fish slime or bait on it it never comes off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork or eva
Posted by: John Cates (---.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 12:57AM

Cork is to fishing rod grips as leather is to cowboy boots.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 01:23AM

Hi Paul,
Cork looks and feels better IMO.
EVA is cheaper, easier and quicker for a build.
You can and should clean EVA grips on a regular basis according to the amount of use. Get the grips wet, add some liquid soap to a nail brush and go to town then rinse. You'll be suprised at the crud that comes out of them if they haven't been cleaned in a while.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 01:24AM

Very well stated John ! But I guess we will hear from the "plastic boot" advocates soon.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.346.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: March 13, 2013 03:50AM

Cork 70s EVA 90s carbon fibre 2000s now my customers are asking for skeleton seats with no grips at all. I think its an age thing easiest way is to offer the lot and let them choose. Personally I like EVA.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:22AM

I like the carbon's personally. I am just not too much of a fan of the time required to make them but in the end it is worth it.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:56AM

depends on the build...trout/puppy drum/inshore rods-cork....surf rods/fighting rods- foam or composite material w/shrink wrap over...bass rods-none...offshore-hypalon and slick butts....i like to stick to a basic set up for that type of build so my customers know what they are getting,tho i'll build it any way the customers wants cause they are always right

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 10:15AM

Chris, am I seeing that you do not use grips on bass rods? If that is the case I would love to see some samples.....

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (206.74.253.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 12:23PM

I have never had an issue with getting Eva clean. I always clean after every trip, and if offshore, they likely get cleaned on the way in.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 12:33PM

Paul,
Any time you want to clean a rod - blank, grip, or guides, simply pick up some Simple Green Cleaner, spray it down and use a tooth brush to scrub off the dirt.
I generally do it in the laundry tub, so that you can use the sink to rinse off the rod while cleaning. Simply reapply as necessary until the rod and grip is just like new

[www.simplegreen.com]

Roger

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 01:02PM

I own a rod with EVA on it in years. I use goop hand cleaner works real well on cork.k

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.210.---)
Date: March 14, 2013 07:45AM

I have no personal experience with EVA, but have been told by an expert that if it is finished properly it cleans up easily. Even in white:)

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 12:21PM

I like cork. You couldn't give me a rod made with foam, I'd give it right back. No actually, I might destroy it. For me cork, or wood in some cases, is the ideal material for rod handles. Case closed.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: March 15, 2013 02:16PM

I do find it a little ironic that we want sensitivity in our rods yet cork is typically used to deaden sound/vibration.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2013 06:00PM

I have been thinking of this for a while And was wondering what eva would look like covered with a clear
I notice that when finish gets near it it tends to soak it up
Since a lot are using wood and even clear coating cork -- why not

I was going to try a cork grip with eva strips glued into it with contact sement Then after sanding A good coat of Finish let dry sand And then maybe several more coats till it is flat

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster