I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Rods that Just Fish Well!
Posted by: Dan McClatchey (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 06:08PM

Looking for imput on bass rods that just fish darn well! I'm talking rods with the combination of ingredients that make you reach for it first, everytime and the one that makes you feel good using it regardless of the amount of cost or lack of it.

If you like to respond tell us what the rod is and it's specs and the formula to the creation of it if it suits you.Please indicate what techniques you like with it plus your selection of line choice etc. Photos are always good if you want.

I am interested in learning what rods and recipes that experienced fisherman and buiders enjoy and think are exceptional!

Thank You!

Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Rods that Just Fish Well!
Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 07:15PM

The Revolver Rod. Most factory rods today are some sort of variation or combine most of the features found on Rich Forhan's original Revolver Rod.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 09:34PM

Dan,

Attention to detail (not necessarily aesthetics) is the secret to a great performing bass rod. Determine the performance requirements of the rod, action, power, length, and blank material by considering the techniques the rod will be used for, the size of the target fish, typical amount of cover encountered, casting distance requirements, casting platform (boat, kayak, float tube, hiking, etc.). Once you have these, select an appropriate blank. Everyone has their own preferences, and when in doubt ask the boys at Swampland (they KNOW bass rods).

Once you have the blank chosen, next comes the important part, what you can do maximize the rod's utility to you. Determine the ergonomics requirements, grip length, grip diameter, grip shape, reel seat design, fore grip/no fore grip, guide size, guide number, guide materials, hook keeper type and location, etc. Then remove any extra material that doesn't need to be on the rod. A series of small weight reductions adds up to a significant increase in rod efficiency.

Some of the things that I do with my rods that suit me well include rear grips no longer than 9.75" (max I can handle comfortably) measures from reel seat trigger or spinning reel stem, split TN handles on spinning rods with reel wrapped onto woven graphite section just large enough to fit my hand, butt grips on split grips long enough to fill most of the hand with mushroom shaped butt caps to facilitate hand position when making two handed casts, grip sections on split casting grips just long enough to support my hand comfortably, drop shot hook keepers mounted on the reel handle side of the rod just in front of the butt grip on split grips (for single hook applications, for treble hooks, use reel frame or butt guide on spinning rod), no fore grips, trim excess reel seat threads to fit the largest reel foot that I use, micro guides placed using a static test, spiral wrapped guides depending on technique, and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting. I'm not a fan of split reel seats. Not because they aren't beneficial, but, because, they don't suit me ergonomically with the way I hold the rod. By the way, most of these things originated in Forhan's rods.

In addition to paying attention to the details that people can see, pay attention to the details they can't. Light rigid arbors when needed, remove excess adhesive when mating parts, etc.

Joe

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 08:12AM

"Tell us"
Who is us?

Posted by: Dan McClatchey (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 09:44AM

Hello Steve!

I am new to the forum and have been here just a few weeks. I guess "us" is the general audience who views this forum whether they are absolute beginners such as myself or others with greater experience.

I just took up bass fishing a year ago and just had a fabulous time! Recently this spring I was looking for a new rod and because I have had a hard time finding one commercially made it got me to looking and studying the work of others on this forum. In addition, it is difficult for me being a beginner to select a rod off a rod rack and know how it will fish. Therefore, others experiences are really helpful.

I believe I will read and study here this summer and fall and hopefully next winter try my first build which will be a bass rod.

My hope of this thread was for members to share their experience of rods "that just fish well".

Thank you to all those who have replied!

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: March 13, 2013 10:50AM

If the handle is comfortable and the rod is very light then it fishes well for me. My biggest problem on the factory rods is the bad handles and seats many of them have. They look nice but either do not hold a reel very well or are uncomfortable to hold for very long.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 10:52AM

MB782-MHX setup with split grips,castaway split seat (if you can get one) 5.5 stripper(Fuji K) and 4.0's running to a 5.0 tip all on top. Fished tip down for 1/4 to 1/2oz topwater and poppers on the TN river lakes from Pickwick on downstream.
Much as i love S glass for trebles , this is what i grab for that small topwater every time as it just works for me. You can get most what you need for this from Mudhole or Swampland.

RFLE 765 stretched in butt to 7ft 9 S glass Seeker setup( from Swampland) spinning with the 30/8 microwave, split grips, 5 mm minima 4's to the 6 amtack/ringlock tip, Pac Bay up threaded real seat in 22(shimmed) for any cranking up to 1 oz with a treble hook. Puts a hurt on any bass alive does not matter what size: i have exhausted sea jacks over 30lbs with this. Rod of choice to explore unknown waters and i fear no fish with this in hand.

Batson 822.5 setup spinning. RX7 is good and you can agrue its merits for dropshot, RX 8 better, as a dropshot rod. Split grip made from 16 Aero turned backwards and cork covered hood from a fuji replacing the regular hood. Minima 4 guides in size 20 12 8 then 4's to the tip which would be a 6 amtack/ringlock. Awesome for dropshot onto bass or bouncing tiny lures to annoy flounder. Several folks on left can supply this.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.61.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 11:34AM

Dan,

A few favorite blanks of mine are:

The Batson RX8+S822.5 and RX8+S823 (a perfect pair for all things finesse, drop shot, shaky head, light T-rigs, grubs, small thin walled tubes, spinnerbaits and buzz baits up to what manufacturers call 1/4oz.). For things that require a bit softer tip the 822.5 is the choice, and for those that require just a bit stiffer tip, the 823 is the ticket. I also like to fish topwaters on the 822.5. The soft tip is great for twitching and walking the dog (sizes up to Super Spook Jr.). These were the first couple of rods I built. Both are casting with Batson's woven fore grips used to make a split grip. They may not be the prettiest rods around, but the fit and finish is done well enough that if I decided to rewrap them, I doubt anyone would know they were my first.

As Lou says, the RFLE 765 is dynamite. Mine is trimmed to 7' 1/4" off the tip, and the rest from the butt, and can handle every size and type of crankbait needed on my local waters from shallow square bills to cranks reaching down 16'-18'. Mine is built with split EVA grips.

Those 3 rods cover about 80% of what I do.

One other rod I'm fond of is built on a 5'8" ML extra fast Cabela's XML blank. I picked a couple up when they were marked down one year, as a buddy had been looking for years for a 5'8"-5'9" L-ML casting rod. I built him one as a casting rod, and mine as a spinning rod. When I got the blanks, I wasn't overly impressed, but once built, they are phenomenal. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them since. I use it for casting and pitching light plastics and small top waters around docks and overhanging cover in close quarters where underwater cover isn't too thick.

Joe

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2013 07:58PM

Seeker makes a series of "S" Glass blanks for Swampland based on the Richard Forhan rods. Contact Swampland and they will help you pick the right blank and build configuration for what you want.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (---.ssa.gov)
Date: March 14, 2013 10:05AM

Dan ....... thanks for the question .......... people come here to learn ....... everybody has something to learn and most have something to share .......... I learn something from everybody I meet. Nobody knows everything and no one should be made to feel bad in anyway for asking a question. In my opinion the only bad question is the 1 you don't ask .......... I build rods for light tackle striper fishing and I appreciate your question and the insights shared ......... I am part of the "US" ...... as is everyone here .......

well mostly everyone ......

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2013 10:26AM

I suspect Steve's question was made to determine if answers were being given to another custom rod builder or a commercial entity of some sort. He would have good reason to be wary if you know any of the history of the micro guide bass rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster