I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Orange
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 02:00PM

Does anyone know of a Metallic Orange thread?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Orange
Posted by: mick vickers (---.a1a.zs.ncren.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 03:04PM

maybe pro wrap or sulky in copper will meet your needs, sort of orange.

Date: March 12, 2013 03:07PM

I was looking at that...may have to try it but I am trying to match a reel that has metallic orange on it. Was hoping that someone knew of something I don't.

Posted by: Jared Retter (---.static.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 03:22PM

Is it the orange for an Okuma? I used the Red copper to match the orange look of my okuma center pin...
Jared

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.247.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 03:25PM

PacBay lists a Metallic Orange thread in thier catalog, but discussion here in 2011 seemed to say that it was more copper than orange. Sulky has a light and dark copper,

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: March 12, 2013 03:30PM

It is the Johnny Morris carbon lite.

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.126.193.---)
Date: March 12, 2013 03:40PM

I've got PacBay's Metallic Orange and some old Gudebrod copper. I see no difference in the two.

Date: March 12, 2013 04:11PM

Thanks guys, I will try the coppers and see if they are close.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 04:22PM

Wrap a metallic together with a Nylon or NCP orange thread until you find a combination that matches your reel. Make sure to epoxy it.

Date: March 12, 2013 08:27PM

great idea Billy

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 08:55PM

DOn, if you built rods with underwraps, I would have told you to get several metallic gold, copper & silvers, wrap about a 6" length of them on scrap blanks, THen wrap a 1/2" section of yellow, orange, tan and put epoxy on it all. The nylon goes translucent and you'll have dozens of new colors to use without worrying about finding a specific color and trying to force that one to work like everyone else does. Seriously, how many times did somoene post a pic of a "theme rod" where teh colors were a litle bit off from what the theme should be (ie a Michigan Wolverine rod with the wrong shade of blue)

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 12, 2013 09:18PM

I am not sure what shade of orange you are looking for but the Pro Wrap neon metalic orange is very close to a very orange orange. Tennesse, Auburn, Florida, etc orange.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.54.---)
Date: March 13, 2013 02:24AM

Hi Don,
Check these and see if it's what you want.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
These are Marlin Bros metallics which I use a fair bit of and is quite good thread. Unfortunately not available anymore. The one one the left is basically orange metallic. The one in the centre is copper metallic and the one on the right is a red and gold varigated.
At the Expo Lily from Dbluefishing had metallics and the spools were identical to these. I looked at a pearl metallic she had and I'm willing to bet it's the same as the one I have from Marlin Bros so she might be able to get something for you. That won't help in the short term so if any of these colours are what your looking for then send me an email and I'll post want you need. I've got almost two full boxes of the Marlin Bros stuff so it won't leave me short.
Billy's ideas are great and might get you what your after.
There was a guy looking for the Marlin Bros pearl metallic a while back so if you see this the one available from Dbluefishing (link on the left) is indentical as far as I'm concerned.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: March 13, 2013 06:03AM

Thanks Col, it sure is hard to tell in the picture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster