I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Crankers - 10xd and Manns 30+ - Blank Recommendations?
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2013 10:23PM

For the deep crankers, the Strike King 10xd and Manns 30+, what blank recommendations do you all have? I have had a couple guys ask me, and to be honest, I'm not sure what to recommend. I have a xp3 965, but I haven't been able to throw this bait on it, and I have a RF LE 806 that is not built up yet. The 10xd weighs in at almost 2 oz, so I feel that these blanks may not have enough power for these. Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jeremy Reed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Crankers - 10xd and Manns 30+ - Blank Recommendations?
Date: March 10, 2013 10:51PM

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 08:12PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2013 08:36AM

Jeremy
Been trying to get my hands on a couple of the 10XD's so I can experiment with different blank models, but they been difficult to obtain around here even tried ordering a couple off line but colors I want where out of stock.

I prefer Graphite; and been throwing for Manns 20 and 30 + for better then a decade
Batson's XP964 will work great for this
XP964 TC 8'0" 1 8-17lbs 1/4-3/4oz 0.520 5.00 Mod-Fast MH 2.26oz Inshore popping corks /redfish /snook

For the 10XD (which if your info is correct is quite a bit heavier then the others)
I would consider the GCB710MH which is still rated little under what the 10XD weighs
GCB710MH GB 7'10" 1 12-25lbs 3/8-1 1/4oz 0.660 6.0 Mod-Fast MH 4.25oz Large deep diving crankbaits

Or going to a one of their lighter swim bait blanks, that way it could double as a swim bait rod for them also
ISWB904 M 7'6" 1 12-25lbs 1/2-2oz 0.655 7.0 Fast M 4.90oz Small bass swimbaits / light - medium Salt Water / slop fishing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2013 08:37AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.housing.res.kent.edu)
Date: March 11, 2013 09:04AM

Jeremy,

Check in with Bill Stevens. If there is a preferred blank that is available for those giant cranks, he will know about it. Given the weight of the 10XD, you may need to do a bit of a tip trim on the RFLE 806. Of course, at 2oz. you could chuck it on a T1 A-rig blank, but that would probably be overkill.

Joe

Date: March 11, 2013 10:34AM

Thank you for the responses. I've got one tournament angler in particular who likes a stiff blank with throwing cranks, and even though this goes against convention, he catches them and wins tournaments here on KY Lake. I'm building on a Batson IMB blank for him; he's handled the blank and really likes the feel of it. He also uses mono still for throwing cranks, so this may be one reason he prefers the stiffer blank. He recently received a couple boxes of these 10xd, and these things are huge. The stiffer blank may work for him, but this blank will not work for someone who prefers a more moderate action.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 08:08PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2013 11:21AM

We have builders and fisherman that are already using the SWB956-Blend-MHX with great success when fishing the 10XD.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster