I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tour Star Grip / Aero Seat
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 07:36AM

I've seen pics of a tour star grip being used with an aero spinning reel seat. For those that have used this setup, did you use the casting or spinning grip from tour star?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tour Star Grip / Aero Seat
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 09:37AM

I believe the 17mm Aero will fit no problem, as it fits over a cork and .980" tube grip.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 10:02AM

I've used the Tour spinning grip with the AERO 16. Found you need to be careful of how much you trim off the grip because it will leave a gap.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 05:28PM

Mitch, the spinning version of the Tour Star grip fits the Aero 16 perfectly.

The Tour split grip fits the Aero 17 also.

We have the grips and seats in both sizes in stock.

Lance

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2013 06:23PM

Thanks guys! Another question.... Can the Tour Star grips be cut to a shorter length?

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.126.193.---)
Date: March 07, 2013 06:34AM

They can be cut, but if you cut the casting grip, you'll be cutting off the take down that fits inside the reel seat. The spinning grips are flush on that end so cutting won't make a difference. I've cut it with a utility knife. Be careful though, you'll want to wrap a piece of tape around it. Follow the tape, just cut through the skin on the first go to keep it clean. On the second round, bend the tag end back a tad so you can see the EVA and stay off the skin with the blade. Cut a little deeper on the next round, and so on. Take your time. The only problem I've found with cutting them is that you really can't dress up the end. The spinning grips, with no dressing on the top end, look terrible on a regular spinning reel seat. Sounds like you're going to go with the Aero and you should have no problem as that end will be tucked in a bit to cover it up. I can't think of any other reel seat you can use with these spinning grips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster