I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spey Rod Blanks
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 07:24PM

I have made a half dozen Spey Rods, but they were all on Rodon Boron/Graphite blanks. I am looking to to a couple on current manufactured blanks and have no idea who makes a reasonably priced and still very good blank.
I know that Sage may make the best, but they are also the most expensive. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Randy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spey Rod Blanks
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 01, 2013 07:49PM

Check out Anglers Roost.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 08:43PM

R.B. Meiser, topshelf stuff. Extremely knowledgable on all aspects of his and many others products. Beulah also has good stuff, but not near a knowledgable on lines, etc. as Bob.
Another class act guru C.F. Berkheimer. Sage makes the best? Not by a longshot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 08:48PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 08:46PM

X2 on discussing any of your current needs with Bob Meiser. He's got a great reputation in the spey world and was one of the first to introduce the "grain window" concept to 2-handed rods.

I build a lot of spey and switch rods on Rainshadow blanks. They have an excellent price point and solid performance. Roughly 1/3 the price of a Sage blank.

Terry

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 08:49PM

X10 on Bob's blanks! I have built and fished them and man I cannot say enough about the blanks, support and everything surounding them!

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2013 11:08PM

A close friend who is a highly regarded professional guide told me that whenever she fishers her Winston BXII 13'3" - 7/8
the other guides want to use it. She has fished just about every top Spey rod and says this one (and the 9/10 model)
really stand out. This Winston also gets rave reviews on forum of Speypages.com. This is a great resource for info on all things related to spey fishing.

The down side is the high price... about $330 for the blank.

Other than that I would go with one of Bob Meiser's blanks for sure.

Posted by: Robert Broome (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 10:13AM

Go with Meiser for sure. You just don't put a blank in the cart he talks to you and asks a lot of questions about where and how you intend to fish the blank he then recommends the right blank and line for your situation. Bob also stands behind what he sells best buy on spey gear just for the service.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 10:28AM by Robert Broome.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 11:15AM

Many manufactuers out there make good spey rods. Kerry Berkheimer is one of the best though not sure he sells his blanks or not. Sage and Talon are two I have built on and both are very nice. Batson also makes nice stuff though I have only held them not built on the spey, I have built their float rods.

Date: March 02, 2013 03:21PM

Thanks for all the good info. Checking out the different sites now. Randy

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 07:47PM

Kerry Burkheimer does sell blanks. He quoted me about $300 for an 11'6" switch blank a few months ago.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 02, 2013 09:06PM

Check out the CTS Scandi blanks:
[hnlcustomflyrods.com]

herb
U.S Distrib. CTS Blanks.

Date: March 03, 2013 06:44PM

Thanks for all the good info!! I bought two from Anglers Roost and one from Bob Meiser. Looking forward to making them up into tools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster