I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sturgeon rod
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 12:06AM

I am about to build a couple of sturgeon rods.they are 7', .9"on the butt with a size 14 tip and a 14" handle.what would be your best guess as to which size reel seat?thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sturgeon rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 01:47AM

what size blank ,? real seat size will change to the rod some what or are you just going to just shim it to fit an the size you need ???? they go together some what , after you get or know the blank you are going to use , people here can help I think , [ size blank is what size BUTT }

Date: February 22, 2013 01:53AM

I wrote it on there .900" on the butt.I kinda wanted one that fits with minimal shimming.I know I could wait till I have the blank in hand but want all the parts in hand when the blanks arrive.any and all help is appreciated

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 08:54AM

Not all reelseats are the same ID, that said I think a 22 mm would give a tight fit, but check the listed ID in the catalog.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 09:20AM

have the supplier fit a seat to the area it needs to be Get everything you need for one supplier Easyer on shipping

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 09:39AM

Unless you measure the blank at the spot you want to fit the real seat, it's pretty much impossible to know this without more specific blank info.

However, a blank with a .90 butt size, a 22mm ID seat would probably work. The Fuji DPSH 22mm is .86 so the taper from the butt should give you enough space to work with. Bill's right, most of the suppliers will fit a seat for you if you ask them. Or, you can buy a 22 and a 24 and have an extra on hand for your next project. :-)

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 02:04PM

Gaston,
I assume that you are going to build this rod as a casting rod, with a casting guide and a trigger style reel seat?

Since there is not much casting with Sturgon, you might consider the build of a spiral rod for this rod, if you build it as a casting rod.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 03:45PM

Thanks for the advise.and yes I'm gonna try my first spiral wrap.any pointers on that?

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2013 06:17PM

Are you fishing from a boat or from the bank? On our large rivers in WA and OR, Some fish from a boat and many from the bank. Boat fishermen use a shorter stiff rod in the 7 foot range and bank fishers use a longer 9 foot or over rod.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 22, 2013 06:24PM

I'd rethink the blank. A size 14 tip is not going to be sensitive enough to detect light biting sturgeon. I like the Batson RCLB series.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: February 22, 2013 06:48PM

You definitely need a sensitive tip regardless of whether fishing from a boat or from shore.
In B.C. we use single piece 8 foot rods for sturgeon, mostly from a boat since shore access is limited.
Most sturgeon casting rods do not have triggers, primarily because they get caught in the rod holders.
For this use I would definitely go with a simple spiral with double footed SiC guides since these blanks generally flex deep into the lower section.

Date: February 22, 2013 07:08PM

I got the blanks for a smoking deal so I'm gonna run with it.thanks everyone for the advice

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2013 04:55PM

Rick, most of the guys that fish from the bank down here, row out to the hole they are fishing, then drop a coffee can filled with concrete and the bail attached with a rubber band, then row back to shore to fish. Some will use a motor on the boat, but few try to do any casting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster