I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Problem on Butt Wrap
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 06:22PM

This is a first for me on a simple chevron butt wrap, actually two firsts. Have a customer that wants a rod done in black and yellow and it was going great until I put on the CP.

I started at the butt wrap and worked my way down the rod. When I finished I looked at my butt wrap and the yellow threads were bunching up and sagging as if the thread had stretched. The other first was, using the only yellow I had on hand which was PacBay thread (not sure I am supposed to mention names but I thought it important to the problem). The black threads are perfect it is just the yellow ones drooping.

I am pretty certain that the tension on all the threads was the same so I can't figure out why the yellow had a problem. It is stay true nylon rod winding thread size A , as they call it.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so I sure would like to know where I went wrong.

Thanks

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Problem on Butt Wrap
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 07:17PM

Cut it off and rewrap

it as fare as I would think it just the tension on that ( brand ) of thread or the spool the tension was not tight enough

Thread is not a Rubber band When you were packing and burnishing you should have noticed something

lesson learned many times when learnining a lot of thread is wasted

Par for the corse

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 07:33PM

Hi,

Why did you use color sealer/preserver?

Did you apply too much sealer o it was too wet?

Try applying just a little of the sealer for the first coat.

Good fortune.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: February 21, 2013 08:07PM

I may have put on a little to much. The reason I used CP was on my test wrap the untreated thread looked faded
and the one with CP had good color for yellow on a black blank.

It is coming off tonight and yes ...lesson learned !!

Tom

Date: February 21, 2013 08:19PM

Hi Tom,

I suspect that most rod builders have had this happen to them at least once. I know that I have.

If I have to use the sealer on a butt wrap I barely coat the wraps the first time. Another trick is to put a dab of sealer on the cross points and let it dry. This will act as an anchor. The second coat do the rest but not the cross points. The third coat you can do the entire wrap. Try not to soak the thread. Tread lightly. I also wipe off excess sealer using a paper towel.

Hope this helps.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: February 21, 2013 08:21PM

That is great information Capt Neil thank you very much. I will do exactly as you suggested

Tom

Date: February 21, 2013 08:45PM

Hi Tom,

Do a fast butt wrp on a piece of scrap and then try using the cs/cp in different ways to see what works for you.

Remember what Billy Vivona states, don't always believe what you read on the internet. Test first. When I read what Billy writes I do take as
almost gospel as he believes in testing everything.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2013 10:09PM

It sounds to me that the yellow thread has a lot of stretch to it and when it gets wet the thread relaxes. I have never had this happen , but have heard of it before. With quality thread a good soaking coat of CP will not cause this to happen.

Date: February 21, 2013 10:11PM

Good thing I checked this board again tonight. I have already stripped and re-wrapped the rod except for tying it down. That's a good idea and one ill do on a scrap blank, don't want to do this again!

Thanks
Tom

Date: February 22, 2013 09:24AM

Also on lighter colors it is good to use NCP thread with a coat of CP to hold the color better

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 23, 2013 09:40PM

Just a follow up to all of your suggestions. The new wrap turned out perfect. Very light CP and three coats did the job.

Bill thanks for you comments on lighter thread. The yellow was NCP and using the CP really did a. Good job on color retention.

Fist coat of epoxy looks great I really appreciate everyone's input.

Tom

Date: February 24, 2013 09:42AM

if you can put up some pictures

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 24, 2013 11:22AM

Will do Bill, as soon as I get the second coat on it

Tom

Date: February 25, 2013 11:03PM

Pictures posted under Thread Wrap. Tried to keep it simple yet attractive

Tom

Date: February 26, 2013 11:05AM

Tom

what ever you did keep doing it
The finish came out very nice and level It gets easier over time

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 26, 2013 05:11PM

Thanks Bill

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster