I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

newbie-need some direction
Posted by: craig cutright (---.rrd.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 04:55PM

Hello to all,
New to the site and to rod building
I would like to get started but not sure where
to start.i thought about purchasing a starter
kit but all kits say there the best.I want this
to be a hobby not a job.advice ,tips,anything
really would be great so I can get started.
Thank you in advance.....

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie-need some direction
Posted by: John Buzzell (---.dvnp.qwest.net)
Date: February 13, 2013 05:07PM

Check out Mudhole.com they have some very good kits at a hobby price. Their MHX rod blanks are a good quality and priced well.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 13, 2013 06:19PM

Hi Craig,
Get yourself some books like Tom Kirkman's "Rodbuilding Guide" which contains excellent basics or Dale Clemen's "Advanced Custom Rodbuilding" which has been acknowledged as the rodbuilding bible. The Mudhole kits are good plus they can supply you with all the components of your choice to complete a build. Do some practice before you start a build and see if you can find a builder in your area who is prepared to help as that can be invaluble.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2013 07:13PM

Go to the ICRBE next week. You will learn more than you can ever get on your own, meet the folks who make and design, and get all the supplies you need

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 01:48AM

to start out look at a lot of ""' you tube "" there is a lot on " you tube " it will give you a lot to soak up an a lot of ideas

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 12:20PM

The kits are really bare minimum in my opinion. You will find that you will want more and more equipment and want to try more techniques. You will soon have a shop section of your house, storage bins for parts and thread, rod blank storage, a cabinet for epoxies and the myriad of bottles and containers you obtain.
Once that proves insufficent, or just not as efficent as your mind can imagine, you will upgrade all that. It's a vicious cycle...

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 05:24PM

Craig it would help to know where you fish, what you fish for, and how. Also if you are looking to build a spinning, casting, or fly rod. I'm always a little surprised when folks ask for advice but don't mention any of the above.

A kit is an easy way to start. However I think that the guides and handle options are lacking and you can do much better. It is best in the long run if you acknowledge that you are going to build more than one rod and buy a stock of parts up front. It is the shipping that will kill you and it stinks to not have the perfect sized guide to make the rod just right.

One point I'll mention. If you are going into this to save money stop right now. It isn't that it is impossible to save a few bucks just that you are quickly going to be upselling yourself. Given the time and effort to make a nice rod it makes sense to spend a little more on the blank and the guides. Soon you will see how much better the rods fish. Then you will be spoiled and unwilling to fish with what you used to consider "okay".

Blank names like Lamiglas, St. Croix, and Baston/Rainshadow are always wise buys. Add Seeker and Calstar if you are after tuna. Typically your best value is the blanks about 1/2 to 2/3rd's up the product line. That might be a SC3 or RX7 but so much depends on what you need for where and how you fish. Mudhole's MHX line is good value and an ideal starter blank IMHO.

Your best buys will be discontinued/closeout/overstock/blems. However it takes time/experience to know what you are buying in that market. The other best deals are black friday/cyber monday period. In all cases you want to plan your fishing arsenal and purchase a few blanks (and all the parts) at a time or shipping will kill your budget.

You mention you want this to be a hobby and not a job. Okay, cool. We are here to help. Just understand that it is you that is making a decision to make a custom rod. Some degree of thought and planning is required of you in the process. There is no point in going down this path unless you are willing to make sure your rod will be better than a store bought rod of the same amount of dollars. You can't compete on wholesale pricing and volume. You will have to do it by making better choices on the blanks for your applications and better fit and ergonomics for your style of fishing. In short you do have to do your part. Rest assured it is within your abilities and fun. Rest assured you are about to start an addiction.

I'm not trying to chase you away. Just trying to get you to approach this with an "all in" mentality.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: craig cutright (50.41.77.---)
Date: February 14, 2013 10:15PM

First,I would like to give a BIG thank you to all who took
The time to reply to my post.I live in southern Ohio,about
An hour south of Columbus.I fish freshwater,mainly for bass
Panfish and little for walleye.I really just want to get started
And realize that this will probably be an addicting hobby.
I was just looking for some guidance into getting started.
I have been reading and watching you tube,and have
Picked up some info.I have yet to purchase anything,as
I want to narrow down what I need before hand.again thanks
For the help and I look forward to the forum.

Craig

Posted by: michael squillacote (167.206.233.---)
Date: February 15, 2013 04:24PM

Go to youtube an watch Anglers Envy you will learn a lot just from a few videos. Other than that just ask some specifics and the people at mudhole will also give a helping hand.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-161.myvzw.com)
Date: February 17, 2013 01:59AM

Craig,

What point are you at in your rod building? Are you wanting to know what basic equipment to obtain first, before starting to purchase your components? In addition to the how to?

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2013 02:01AM by Chris Herrera.

Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 18, 2013 10:24AM

Craig, I live in Dublin, OH, and enjoy the same kind of fishing that you do. My favorite all around Ohio blank is Mudhole's SJ782-MHX. I fish bass, bluegill, crappie, saugeye, walleye and perch, and if I could only use one rod, this is it. I have also become a recent convert to the Microwave guide system and I have built several Microwave rods for myself and customers. The blank is 1.7 oz. and finishes to just over 3 oz. - light as a feather. Mudhole has a kit (MHXMW-11) that includes this blank and Microwave guides. If you want to upgrade, per Russel's advice, you can skip the kit and purchase the blank, upgrade guides, reel seat and handle system, etc., separately. Feel free to email me and I will send my phone # if you want to discuss.

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: craig cutright (50.41.69.---)
Date: February 18, 2013 07:14PM

John,I will e- mail you.
My email add. Is craig_73@myfrontiermail.com

Thanks,Craig

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster