I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guide placement
Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 03:23PM

I am building a 7' 6" heavy flippin stick with micro guides and I am using a size 10 for the butt guide then 5.5 and 4.5 runners for guides. On the butt guide it seems like the line rides high to were there is an angle were the line hits the top of the guide. I have moved the butt guide further from the reel out to about 27 inches and that helped. Is this angle where the line touches the guide a concern? Also it seems that I will have to go with 2 or 3 extra guides to keep the line off fo the blank while under pressure fpr a total of 10 - 11 giudes. Is this typical when using micro guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guide placement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2013 04:41PM

Yes, you'll likely have to use a few more guides when using such low, close the blank guide types. But because they are so terribly light, you won't pay much of a penalty, if any, for using a couple or three extra.

I assume you mean the height of the reel at full spool put the line against the top inside edge of the butt guide? Unless it's a very acute angle it's not really of any concern. You can reduce it, of course, by using a higher frame or larger ring guide.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.215.---)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:36PM

Another case of my missing something everyone else seems to get. Heavy flippin stick with micros? What are the advantages of micros on a heavy flippin stick where the casts are usually less than a boat length? And they aren't usually even casts? Don't get me wrong, I'd just like to know. thanks, Mick

Posted by: Dan Leitzen (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:51PM

This is a flippin stick blank that will only be used for casting for northern pike.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:54PM

lighter rod= less fatigue over the course of the day.

less fatigue over the course of the day= better concentration

balance point further back = increased bite detection

increased bite detection= more money in pocket when competing

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2013 06:57PM

Why use any guide that is larger or heavier than it needs to be? What could possibly be the benefit to that?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.215.---)
Date: February 11, 2013 07:30AM

Got it, thanks. I guess I would like to be able to run a knot through the guides of both a pike rod and a flippin stick, but different strokes. . .

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2013 10:56AM

As has been posted many times before -
Use the guide type, style and brand that works for YOUR needs, and YOUR application.

On a flipping stick, it you tape on 8 conventional guides that are in your comfort zone and tape on 12 micro guides that are smaller - it is up to you to decide if the micro guides are for you and for your particular application.

Just because micro guides may suit one fisherman and his particular needs, does not mean that that style guide is correct for your particular rod, and the way that it is going to be used.

There are many many reasons to put a particular guide on a rod besides the absolute weight of the guide.

For example, when you are talking about heavy lines, snaps and swivels on terminal tackle that often get pulled through the tip and or guides of the rod - then micros may be the very worst thing to put on a rod.

Also, consider the person or persons that are likely to use the rod. Does a particular guide train work for the person that is going to be using the rod.

A willow stick with a cotton cord tied on the end has caught many fish over the years.
As have has a plain line with a nail and a hook on the end caught many many fish over the years.

The selection of a guide train for a particular fishing rod is just another of the many many variations that are part of the occupation called "Rod Building"

There is no "right, or Wrong" guide. There are rods and there are guides, grips, reel seats and tips. Use the one, or the combination of items that are "right" for the intended application.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster