I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Photo on fishing rod
Posted by: Austin K McWhorter (---.amrlcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 05:57PM

Hey Guys,

I have a special rod that I am building, it's a memorial rod. Is there a way to put a picture on a fishing rod?? I thought I saw a way to do it a couple years back but I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Photo on fishing rod
Posted by: Chad Huderle (70.99.72.---)
Date: February 07, 2013 06:36PM

There's probably more than one way to do this but for me it's pretty straightforward.

Print the desired picture on clear back decal paper.
Do a white underwrap with nylon thread.
I add a black thread underwrap border on each side of the white thread. This gives the decal a place to seamlessly blend into the background of the blank.
Give the underwrap a coat of color preserver.
Apply the decal and epoxy.

The reason I use white nylon for the underwrap is that you get a picture with a little "glint" from the thread.

Here's an example of the finished product using this method.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Austin K McWhorter (---.amrlcmtk01.tx.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 06:43PM

Thanks a lot Chad, I'll give it a go.

A MAC Custom Built Rods
www.amacrods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2013 09:57AM

I USUALLY USE MY PRINTER / SCANNER TO "SHRINK" A PHOTO THEN I CUT OUT THE PHOTO APPLY SPRAY ON CONTACT GLUE TO THE BACK OF PHOTO LET IT SET THEN APPLY TO ROD BLANK THEN COAT WITH FLEX COAT SPIN DRY
I HAVE DONE QUITE A FEW RODS LIKE THIS USING BEACH BUGGY PHOTOS AND EVEN MOTOR CYCLE PHOTOS I HAVE A FRIEND THAT WANTS ME TO PAINT THE ROD THE SAME COLOR AS HIS "TROPHY " 1970 V W AND ADD THE PHOTO OF HIS V W TO THE ROD I DID ANOTHER OF MY FRIEND ON HIS INDIAN MOTOR CYCLE WITH THE ROD PAINTED TO MATCH THE BIKE
Larry

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.215.---)
Date: February 08, 2013 06:16PM

The best way I have found to do photo decals, and I've done a lot of them, is to print them on Papilio white vinyl media. I don't think photos will look near as good on a clear decal, but I could be wrong.
1. Use a program like Paint Shop Pro, Photshop, or MS Paint (which is on every Windows computer) to design your decal into a size that will approximately match the rod onto which it will be mounted. Like 3.1416 + a little times the rod diameter for the height of the decal, and the length you need for the width. This is the biggest challenge, getting a photo that "fits" the rod.
2. Print it onto the media with printer settings for photo matte paper and highest quality.
3. Cut it out with a paper cutter or similar tool to get straight edges.
4. Spray it with a fixative like Papilio's clear UV filtering fixative or other equivalent-the fast drying clear stuff you can buy at art shops or hardware stores. This keeps the CP and epoxy from ruining the photo. (I usually print multiples on a sheet of media to handle screw-ups and spray the whole sheet before cutting them out)
5. Use a sharpie to darken the edges of the individual decal
6. Apply the decal to the surface. Some recommend applying to a base coat of epoxy to ensure a perfectly flat, glossy, surface to which the decal will stick without compromise.. Make sure to use a burnishing tool with the backing of the decal for a protective layer between the tool and the decal to really paste the decal down to the surface. Particularly, be aggressive along the seam, but always use the protective layer.
7. Apply CP to all edges of the decal to help prevent them from being attacked by the epoxy. Make sure you get it well sealed, and don't worry about any bad appearance you get from the CP, it will not be visible when you get done.
8. Apply wrapping finish over the decal.

If you've never done this before I would recommend a practice run on an old piece of rod to be sure you get the process done before doing it on your special rod. However, if you screw up the decal, it can be carefully removed cleanly by carefully starting at a corner and peeling the whole thing off (before you apply CP or finish, of course). If you have questions, send me an email.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2013 02:42AM

I like the Papilio white paper decals, haven't tried the vinyl yet though.
I use the same procedure that Mike Danek outlines above.
I print on plain paper first to make sure I get a good fit.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: February 09, 2013 07:28AM

I also print a test on plain paper, James. That is a very good idea. Forgot to mention that. I haven't tried the paper from Papilio. The white vinyl is very thin, adheres well without tending to straighten out and lift, so doesn't require a "tie down" procedure like some of the stiffer hologram media need. By the way, if the stiffer ones are used and need to be tied down overnight I have found that electrical tape works well. Put a protective piece of thin paper over the decal, then very tightly wrap with electrical tape, stretching it well while wrapping. It develops a lot of quite evenly distributed compression on the decal, leaving no tracks like one might get from thread if not properly protected, and it's a lot faster for me than using thread (no power wrapper).

Date: February 09, 2013 07:31AM

Very nice work, James!

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 09, 2013 11:59AM

I use the same system at Mick and James but I use permanent stick address labels from 3m for my media, works well and the adhesive is super strong.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2013 01:49PM

Chad Huderle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's probably more than one way to do this but
> for me it's pretty straightforward.
>
> Print the desired picture on clear back decal
> paper.
> Do a white underwrap with nylon thread.
> I add a black thread underwrap border on each
> side of the white thread. This gives the decal a
> place to seamlessly blend into the background of
> the blank.
> Give the underwrap a coat of color preserver.
> Apply the decal and epoxy.
>
> The reason I use white nylon for the underwrap is
> that you get a picture with a little "glint" from
> the thread.
>
> Here's an example of the finished product using
> this method.
> [www.rodbuilding.org]
> /photo/16443/title/thank-you-rod/cat/500

That's really cool. I didn't know that could be done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster