I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reamer question
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.346.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 07, 2013 06:14PM

Hi,

It's time to replace my reamers they have copped and absolute flogging over the last couple of months, usually I wrap engineers abrasive tape around an blank and they last a good while but I'm tossing up using the abrassive grit sold by mudhole epoxied onto the scrap blank the only thing I'm worried about is grit not holding well in the epoxy, I'm a little parranoid about epoxy heating up and releasing even a couple of grains left enbedded in the grip could result in some nice scratches on the blanks? Anyone use this stuff? Should I stick to the tried and true?

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reamer question
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 07:23PM

Mark, I have been using the grit for about 30 years and never had so much as one scratch on a rod blank due to loosing grit in a handle. Thoroughly sand the scrap blank, apply a good, even coat of epoxy, then after spreading a good layer of grit on either wax paper or tin foil, roll the blank until evenly coated with the grit. Make sure there are no areas where the grit has built up to be a little hill or mountain that will distort the even reaming of your grip. Let it dry and then brush off any loose grit. simple as that.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 07:30PM

I have had the opposite experience then Randolph! Twice I have had pieces of the grit imbed themselves into the cork and then scratch an expensive blank! I now only use the abrasive strips glued to the reamer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 07, 2013 07:39PM

Stick with the abrasive strips. Just added insurance

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 07:45PM

Recently had rubberized cork and burl eat the strips off of two reamers.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 07:52PM

No grit will be on my reamers.

I severly scratched two blanks when a bit was imbeded in the cork grip.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: February 07, 2013 07:53PM

Thanks guys that is exactly what worried me Phil guess ill stick with the abrasive tape.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Date: February 07, 2013 08:39PM

Sounds like you guys didn't prepare the reamers properly. Been building rods for over 40 years and never had the problems you describe. did you make the reamers yourselves? Or bought something someone else made?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 08:48PM

Another very good option is to use a machine shop made metal reamer.

They will never wear out, and will last virtually forever.

It is especially nice is you have a good friend in a machine shop where you can get the reamers made for a reasonable cost.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 07, 2013 11:32PM

Heat from friction when power reaming can remove grit from belt made reamers too. Usually off the edges of the strip. For that I have a bottle brush with the bristles trimmed down to stiffen them. Blow the grip out then vigorously clean with the brush. No debris inside, ever since I used it.

Date: February 08, 2013 01:01AM

Nice idea Ted I'm all over that one.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2013 07:25AM

Mark

I use grit coated home-made reamers. I make sure to pull a tubing brush through the reamed grip numerous times to clear out any grit pieces left behind in the grip. You can buy different sized tubing brushes at just about any food service supply store. Never scratched a blank!

Rog

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2013 09:26AM

I do something a bit different than what has been mentioned here. I use different sizes of rat tail files. Cut the handle portion back to the round part of the file, then chuck it in you lathe or drill press. I use my lathe for this. Works really good and they don't wear out.

Jerry

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.72.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 08, 2013 10:14AM

Hi all ;

I just got some grit from Mud Hole to replace the old sanding tape on my reamer. I have never done this before now. So what is the best way to remove the old tape from the reamer blank, I used contact cement to hold the tape to the rod blank. I like the rod blank and want to keep it . Also need to try to salvage a old rod reel seat, I don't have a drill press to drill out the old rod blank, Any help would be appreciated so much. I was told it can't be done ,are they right? I don't want to try to use a reamer .

Thank you all;

Richard curry Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Date: February 08, 2013 12:47PM

Richard,
To take the tape off your reamer, just use a heat gun to heat the tape and soften the adhesive. The tape will come right off. Then, use mineral spirits to remove any adhesive residue. Then, use DNA to remove any mineral spirit residue.

To remove the old reel seat just take a band saw, chop saw, hack saw, dremel or other tool to cut the blank off just in front of and just behind the reel seat. Now you will just have to remove the blank from the inside of the reel seat.

Put on a leather glove to hold the reel seat and to avoid hand damage in case you happen to drill through the reel seat. Then grab a variable speed drill and a bunch of different size drill bits. Start with a smaller drill bit, drilling out from each end of the reel seat. Go to larger and larger drill bits until all of the blank has been removed from the reel seat.
Go ahead and clean up the reel seat and use as desired.

Roger

Date: February 08, 2013 04:15PM

As far as the reel seat goes, If you have a vice and a hand drill, I would pad the vice jaws, put in the reel seat until just tight enough to hold it, then drill out the blank with successively larger dia. bits. Care must be taken to not deform the reel seat. You didn't say if it was wood or metal or what?

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-244-154.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2013 06:44PM

I could use some help here and maybe the "machine shop made metal reamer" is the answer if this old guy can figure out where to get them. I use the rat tailed files on some of my grips as as work with a lot of wood but I can't find any for grips much larger than fly rod grips, the files are to small in diameter for anything larger, any suggestions???? Thanks.

Date: February 08, 2013 06:49PM

Find a friendly machine shop and have them make one or more for you.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2013 07:03PM

You should be able to drill the wood out as large as you can and then glue in several graphite arbors and ream them to fit the blank
makes the handle lighter and is easier to ream to fit the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2013 09:17PM

The sort of reamer you're referring to is for accurately sizing bores previously drilled undersized. They're steeply tapered and not suitable for the sort of grip and handle boring folks are talking about here.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster