I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson & Pac Bay fly blanks
Posted by: Fadly Yazid (60.51.93.---)
Date: February 04, 2013 11:16PM

Hi,

I'm looking to build my first 3wt graphite fly rod. I have a fiberglass 6'9" 3wt fly rod which is also my own built using cheap 4pc chinese blanks. The quality I rate 5/10, otherwise It is a slow rod and I like the way it feel (I'm pretending to be blind folded when I fish with it). I'm on a budget so anything nicer than the chinese fiberglass blanks seems not to fit the bill .

BTW I bought an Am Tak 6'6" 2wt blanks from @#$%& back in December and seems to be lost. So I'm looking to purchase a 3wt blank instead of 7'~7.5' length (3-pc or 4-pc). I'm considering Batson RX6 series and Pac Bay Traditional II series blanks. Of the two I would be glad is anybody could tell which one has more flex by test. I'm bias to slow rods... okay maybe moderate for graphite...

I know Dorber sells slow rods but again the shipping cost...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson & Pac Bay fly blanks
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 12:57AM

Why not get à Fiberglass blank ?

Date: February 05, 2013 03:01AM

Most of the glass blanks are more than 100 dollars shipping excluded. I'm looking to wet my feet with something economical...

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: February 05, 2013 04:01AM

A Pac Bay Rainforest II is medium fast, nice finish, economical, and perfect for a light weight fly rod. It's a step up from the Tradition II and a very decent inexpensive blank. For $49 at Donart, it's hard to go wrong.

Drew

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: February 05, 2013 10:26AM

Fadly,
Send me an e mail so I can reply back with some information for you.

Jerry

Posted by: Fadly Yazid (210.195.108.---)
Date: February 05, 2013 06:34PM

E-mail sent.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 09:41AM

Try looking at the RX 6 blanks I find them soft

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: February 06, 2013 11:50AM

I find RX6 pretty soft, I have built the 6'6" 2 wt and the 7'9" 3 wt for creek fishing and I liked it a lot. You can have a lot of fun with a 6 inch rock bass. :) I don't know how it would do on bigger water though. No problem with the quality though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 11:52AM by Abram Harrison.

Date: February 07, 2013 04:42AM

-sorry multiple post-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 04:47AM by Fadly Yazid.

Date: February 07, 2013 04:43AM

-sorry multiple post-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 04:48AM by Fadly Yazid.

Date: February 07, 2013 04:44AM

I've placed an order for 7'9" 4pc 3wt Pac Bay Traditional blanks after considering the shipping destination. From what I read it's a bit faster than the 2 pc version. I've fished 2-3lbs Pacus with my 3wt glass rod and it was crazy. Hopefully the Pac Bay will be just as fun :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster