I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help locating matching guide
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:42PM

Hello Forum Members,
I need a little help locating a replacement guide. I have a Shakespear Ugly Stick Catfish Model ucsp110170 in for a guide replacement. I can't seam to match up the guide with my usual contacts. it is a shockring type guide. Can someone please point me in the right direction. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Thanks,

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help locating matching guide
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 08:48PM

Made by Fuji some years ago, one of the first single foot guides, I may have one if you let me know what size it is.

Date: February 04, 2013 09:06PM

Mr. Ruwe.

it appears i need a 12mm. The ring is gone but the frame (broken) is still there. I bent it back to round and it measures 12mm.
I am new to this game and don't have lot of old style guides. I don't stock anything, i just order what i need. I am trying to track down the right guide and get a price so i can let the customer decide if he wants a matching guide or anything i have laying around. If you have something let me know what you want for it and i will pass it on to customer.
Thanks,
Always appreciate help from the veteran rod builders.
thank you.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 04, 2013 09:09PM

When you place an order try to order several more then you need It buildes up your stock and you have extra's

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2013 09:16PM

I do that for the current style guides. Such as size 6 fuji fly guides. But these old school guides i know i wont use very often, i dont want to hold on to them forever. I did find a close match in my pile of old rods, the only problem is its a black frame and not chrome. will work in a pinch i am sure.
Thanks for the feed back Mr. Boettcher.

Date: February 04, 2013 09:24PM

I was talking of new stuff guides are always changing
It is just that one time when some one comes in with that Old Rod and needs that old guide

Then it is a good way to talk him into a guide UPGRADE

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2013 09:34PM

Another question for you Bill,
The Ugly Stick catfish rod appears to have shrink wrapped guide attachment.
What do you do with something like that? I just plan to tie it with black thread.

js

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Date: February 05, 2013 02:59AM

I will check and see if I have an extra size 12, will let you know tomorrow.

Date: February 05, 2013 12:22PM

The thread will probably be stronger But I would ask the owner of the rod if thread is alright for him
Shrink tubing you should be able to get from an electrcal store Home depot caries it I have gotten some to cover forcepts jaws

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 05, 2013 01:39PM

Jim, I am sorry but I don't have a spare #12 in that style. Good luck finding one.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 01:32AM

Jim, If you have a correct size guide with a black frame you can always rub off the black paint with a Scotch Brite pad and also thats not a heat shrink tube attatchment for that guide.All ugly stik rods are wrapred in black thread and then painted over with red and yellow trim bands. Testors yellow is an exact match and also their red for the guide trim.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: February 06, 2013 07:27AM

Thanks guys,
I will talk with owner and make adjustments. Thanks for the help.

js

Date: February 06, 2013 09:52AM

That is what I get for thinking a poster knows what they are looking at

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2013 12:21PM

Jim,
Since these are fairly old style guides, one solution would be to cut all of the guides off of the rod, and install a fresh new complete set of new current guides on the rod.

A very common practice and a really nice way to both lighten a rod as well as the performance of the rod.

Be safe
Roger

Date: February 06, 2013 11:17PM

Bill, i started to take offense at your last comment about '' thinking a poster knows what they are looking at''. I refrained from commenting back until i returned home to prove i KNEW what i was looking at..............

My apologies! This ''poster'' ( i prefer newbie) doesn't know what i am looking at. Upon removal of the guide it is exactly as Mr. Danku describes,. Sure didn't look like thread, nice job from the factory.

Mr. Wilson,
Owner doesn't care if guides match so he gets a close match used guide off of an old rod.

Thank you all for the support.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Date: February 06, 2013 11:23PM

Almost forgot!
Thank you Mr. Ruwe for looking in your inventory for me. Greatly appreciated even if you didn't find a match.

Yall have a good night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster