I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split grip
Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 03:45PM

I am building a 7' m-fast rod with a split grip handle. What would be a normal distance for the exposed blank on the split section. 4?,5?6?......thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split grip
Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 03:55PM

Bob - there really isn't a standard distance. That distance is usually whatever is left from placing the total handle length. It's also going to change based on the grip pieces you use. We use 3, 3.25, 3.5 and 4" grips on the same handle length, so every one is the same handle length, but the exposed blank section is different. Hope that makes sense.

Best thing I can say - figure out how far from the butt you want the seat, and stick the grips on from there. You'll have some type of space in between the grip pieces.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Date: February 02, 2013 04:07PM

I've got a 4.75 rear cork grip, exposed reel seat and no fore grip.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 04:23PM

Hi,

Whatever works for Is just fine.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 04:25PM

I usually figure how long I want the handle
Then figure how long I want the section after the seat and shape to fit my hand
Butt section -- Whatever you want Check out some new rods and see what looks good to you ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-233-128.myvzw.com)
Date: February 02, 2013 05:21PM

Bob,

From your post, it sounds like you only have one cork grip and not two? Just curious if that is the case.....

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 08:59PM

Everything you can think of will play into what size area you leave exposed.

I just start with how long I want my butt section to be. My second step is to make sure the upper grip extends below the reel seat to contact a boat rod holder. This may not be important for you, but it is for me. I do not want the exposed blank area to be touching the rod holder at any time. Once I decide how long I want the upper grip to be I can then build the lower grip to "look good" in conjunction with the upper. What looks good will varry from person to person. What is left after all that is the exposed part.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.226.82.166.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 09:36PM

Bob,

There is really is no difference as in any other handle. Where do want the handle to fit your arm/ hands when you cast, or to fight a fish? The reel seat location and butt lenght won't change, so the open area in a split grip will vary the same as on any other handle.

Chuck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2013 11:51PM

Figure how long you want your total butt length.

Then, figure how long you want the butt grip to be.

Finally figure how long you want your butt cap to be.

The open area will be the difference between the butt length, - the butt cap length and the butt grip.

It can be 0 to many inches.

Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2013 12:41AM

Hi Bob,
I'm with most of what has been said. Get your reelseat set up so it suits your style for fish fighting and/or casting. Size the butt grip to suit your hand for casting. Size the rear grip to suit how you hold the reel and to fit rod holders if required. Whatever is left is whatever it is after you set everything up to suit your style and needs. Everyone is different so the gap will be different for individuals. Another reason to call a rod "custom made".

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 03, 2013 11:08AM

In other words...the exposed part of a split-grip is the least important part, and is simply what is left over after the important issues have been addressed.

Date: February 03, 2013 03:13PM

All good advice, thanks everybody!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster