I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cork filler question
Posted by: Sam Moore (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 01:06AM

I just purchased some regular Elmer's interior/exterior wood filler from a mom and pop hardware store. Will this work?

I've noticed that Mudhole sells Elmers tinted Golden Oak color wood filler...do I need this color or does it matter? The stuff I got looks roughly like the color of cork.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cork filler question
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 05:17AM

Give it a shot, cork color can vary, Golden Oak seems to be a very close match for most cork or a least blends in very well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 02:01PM

Sam,
A very nice match. i.e. Elmer's golden Oak filler.
I have been using this filler for the last several years and it just seems to work very well.

Be safe
REW

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: January 28, 2013 02:06PM

Try our PitPaste, it is darker in color but when put on the grips in the small cavities it blends very well and is much better then the elmers product. in that it dries harder and is more durable.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2013 02:16PM

I have used both and prefer the PitPaste. I does blend well, easy to work with and dries fast. I always put Cork Seal or Tru Oil on the grip after I finish filling and sanding for durability.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 06:43PM

I have never figured out why anyone would want to fill the natural pores of a cork handle, unless it was a large gap that would eventually cause problems. I think the small striations in the cork give it character and feel. A total waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Date: January 28, 2013 06:44PM

I have never figured out why anyone would want to fill the natural pores of a cork handle, unless it was a large gap that would eventually cause problems. I think the small striations in the cork give it character and feel. A total waste of time as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2013 07:19PM

I don't fill in cork unless it needs it. I use Pit Paste to fill spaces where the cork is gouged or damaged, or heavy pitted. If the cork is new or undamaged, I just normally seal it so that it lasts longer and cleans easier. I have used it on several older grips to restore them and it works excellent.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: January 28, 2013 08:23PM

Randolph,
Your statement is certainly true of cork from a few years ago.
Unfortunately, much of today's cork has more holes and gouges than sound cork. If you don't fill some of the holes and gaps, you can actually drop a finger or hand into a hole in the cork.

Such is the nature of much of today's cork.

Sure, if you want to pay $5 per ring, you can get some pretty decent cork. But if you only want to spend 50 cents a ring, the quality is pretty poor.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 08:49PM

A custom rod? Use better cork. Filled cork always looks like its been filled.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 12:13AM

Custom doesn't always mean the best of the best. Use what your customer is willing to pay for.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 29, 2013 11:26AM

I just purchased a bunch of Top Flor. Even that is not as good as it should be and after turning a few grips. some of it would not have passed as Flor or even lower grade in the past. Cork quality just is not what it once was. I do not fill often because, as Randolph said, some of it adds character. If it needs filling, I use Pit Paste. Sands nice and if I treat it with Tru Oil, it still looks good.

Date: January 29, 2013 11:27AM

Roger I guess I am lucky, I still have several thousand from years ago.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2013 05:27PM

I have found some thing I like

I shap the handle Clean well No fill Or maybe any real bad ones
Then put one or two coats of finish on
Let dry
sand fill any deep ones
What I want is to get the handle level with the finish
Then when dry sand it Clean it well Then put a thin coat on And when dry run over it with 0000 wool just to take the gloss off

looks nice for me And the golden color the finish gives it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 29, 2013 07:53PM

Randolph,
If you would like to sell me a thousand rings for the same price as you paid for them, I would be more than willing to take them off your hands.

Roger

Date: January 29, 2013 09:47PM

Roger, I bet you would!! Sorrry, no deal. ;>)

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.23.186.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 14, 2013 09:34AM

Hi Scott,

I got a jar of you'r PitPaste, used on 3 rods worked out well, went back 2 weeks later to do another handle , opened the jar to find the paste almost dry. I was careful to make sure that I put the cap back on tight , what happened ,? I put 4 drops of water in and mixed ,that worked ok . When I went back to use it again about a month later to late ,to hard to use, water did not work, what happened? What did I do wrong? thank you for you'r help.

Richard Curry Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster