I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Trolling Rods
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 07:33AM

I'm building a new set of walleye trolling rods and decided to go with the simple spiral on them. For the bumper guide, is there any reason a #4 micro wouldn't work. I'm trying to keep the profile of the guide down so its not sticking out so far. From everything I've read, all the guide is doing is keeping the line off the blank. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but wanted to check and see if anyone has had any experience using this type of setup.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Trolling Rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 28, 2013 07:47AM

Sine the line is under the blank, the guide doesn't even have to do that. The important thing, is will that size guide be large enough to pass your line and any required connections easily? Do you have to worry about guide ice up?

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 07:51AM

Also, with a single foot guide, remember that you can bend it to sit closer to the blank. Once it is wrapped to the blank just push the ring forward toward the tip. You will reduce the rings profile significantly.

As always, be sure the ring is large enough to pass any connections you may have.

Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 07:58AM

no knots will have to pass through this guide so that's not an issue. As far as ice... I've never had an issue before. I never thought about bending down a guide. Maybe a size 6 will be a better bet if i bend it closer to the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2013 02:22PM

Mitch,
A size 6 fly guide is a great choice for this guide. I would likely not use a size 4 for this appication my self.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster