I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mhx blanks
Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 04:38PM

Whats the feeling of the community out there on MHX blanks as uppossed to other manufactuers in the same price line.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mhx blanks
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 04:55PM

I have very little experience with them, but recently bought a white SJ series blank that was listed as a medium power, fast action. I believe it is significantly off from other blanks I've built with the "medium/fast" designation. This one is more like a medium heavy/extra fast. Looking at the butt diameter and weight of the blank I should have suspected that it wasn't going to be similar to my other blanks (smaller butt dia and lighter). It is a very handsome blank, and the Michigan State University theme came off very well with it. It may not be a big issue, but I like the individual serial number on the blanks.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 05:28PM

I have built a few of them and am a huge fan (I have 3 that I fish now). I have built both glass and carbon and have been very happy. Straight as an arrow. I would and intend on building on them in the future.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 05:57PM

I have built on a number of their fly rod blanks and I and my customers love them! A quality blank at reasonable costs.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: January 26, 2013 06:09PM

Definitely good stuff. Have fly, spinning and steelhead rods built with these blanks. Will say again: good stuff and for a very civilised price!
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 06:19PM

Thanks everybody! Im going to try a couple of drop shot rods on them.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 06:41PM

I build almost exclusively on them...I love them and so does everyone that has bought one from me.

Posted by: Jared Retter (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 09:51PM

Built a side drifting steelhead rod on one, turned out awesome and client loved it and landed several big fish on it!

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 11:14PM

I have built up three of their fly rods, all very very light, and very fast. I personally like this taper but if you like a slower rod, look elsewhere.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 26, 2013 11:30PM

Like Don, I prefer them over most anything out there. I have built glass trolling to U/L spinning and have NEVER had an problem with any of them. I think that they excel in their class!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 26, 2013 11:53PM

I've built five of them a few steel head drift rods a hot shot rod and a couple of popping rods.they are great and everyone seems to love them.light and durable priced great.hard for me to spend twice as much for a different brand

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.082.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 27, 2013 01:09AM

I built 22 rods this month over 1/2 were mhx they are a very nice rod blank for the $$ and they make a nice bream stick the most popular are the 2-6 & 4-8 spins and the 6-12 casting.

I have only ever had two issues both were corrected under warranty by Todd quickly and painlessly.

Great blank for the price just remember to register them for warranty. I have a stack to register here thanks for the memory jog.

Cheers

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia
markscustomfishing.com
American Tackle Pro-Staff

Posted by: Ron Zunic (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2013 05:58AM

I pretty much agree with everyone on the forum. A very straight blank and a very reasonable price tag. Very much like my 13' for steel.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (12.191.162.---)
Date: January 28, 2013 02:46PM

All the customers I've built for really like them and the price point. I also had a warranty issue on a white blank. It had been in the corner for a number of months and when I got ready to build it for and ALS Fund Raiser, I noticed the white was messed up in a few places. By the end of that same week, I had another blank from mudhole. People also like the fact they can register the blank for a warranty. Just be sure to explain to them that this means blank replacement, and not everything else.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 30, 2013 08:10PM

I also use MHX blanks almost exclusively. I don't think you can beat them for value. Been building for only 2+ years, but that has been my experience so far.

Harry T. Bell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster