I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Color Transition
Posted by: Andrew Bermack (74.124.49.---)
Date: January 22, 2013 04:33PM

Hello to the group. I'm about to build my fourth rod and am having a great time. My question is in regard to decorative trim wraps specifically how to make the transitions without crossing thread colors. On my last rod i put a single gold wrap in the middle of my guide wraps. They look great, but if examined closely you can see where the "cross" is. I just want to add a thin band in the middle of my wraps. I tried to simply stop the first color and then start a new color, but it seems I need at least 5 or 6 wraps to tie in the thread and to finish the thread which translates to a thick band. I tried searching this forum, but since my terminology isn't up to speed yet, I didn't get many results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Color Transition
Posted by: john backos (---.design2147.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 04:45PM

About 5-6 turns before I want to start the trim band I insert a loop of mono. When I get to where I want to start the trim band, I pull the trim thread through. I move the main wrap thread a bit to the right and take the trim thread around the rod in the opposite direction of the main thread, tightly wrapping over the main thread. When I get to the end of the trim thread, i hold it tight and tuck the free end under the main thread that is angled to the right. Once the trim thread is secure, I continue wrapping the main thread and when I wrap over the trim thread 5 or six times, I trim the trim color. It sounds a lot harder than it is.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 05:03PM

Here are some various tutorials you might find helpful:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: January 23, 2013 01:03AM

If I understand.....the only way that I know if is a "nail knot".

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 04:47PM

These are good examples of end trim bands. For a single (or how ever many turns you want) band in the middle of a wrap with no cross over and no tie off loop, use the following process:

Start the main wrap. At least 6 turns prior to starting your trim band (I like 10 if there is room) insert your trim band thread.
Wrap the 6-10 turns of your main wrap thread
Cut the tag end at the start of the trim thread. You can pull (gently) the trim thread to hide the end of the trim wrap start if you didn't get a clean cut.
Wrap the trim thread over the main thread in the same direction as the main thread wrap. (you might have to loosen the tension a bit on the main wrap) Wrap a little past the start point.
Slip the trim thread under the main wrap thread and continue wrapping about 5-6 turns.
Pull the trim thread tight, and also pull the end point of the wrap so it is even with the start of the wrap. If you don't do this step, you get a fat spot where the start and stop points go past each other.
Trim the tag end and continue.

This gives you a single trim band (or how ever many turns you wish) with no main thread crossover, and without using tie-off loops.

I may have a tutorial with pictures if you want one. If not, I should make one for my class anyway. PM me and I'll mail it to you.

Tight wraps!

Terry

Posted by: Andrew Bermack (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 06:33PM

Terry, I really like your method. Work perfectly. Going to try a few more times on a wooden dowel I've been using for practice. I really like not having to cut the main thread.

John. Thanks for the links.

John. Your method is very similar to Terry's in practice.

Thanks again folks!

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2013 08:08PM

Yup, it is. I just capture the trim thread early, instead of the loop.

Glad it worked out. I create trim bands wrapping the trim and main thread side by side in a similar manner, except I just start the trim thread along side the main thread where I want the trim to be on the wrap. Make 2-3 turns and then end the trim wrap in a similar fashion to the single band.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster