I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jet Mini Lathe JML 1014I
Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 05:02PM

Ok I think I am going to make the plunge and buy a used JML 1014I from a guy for a pretty good price.
What do I need to make it functional for rod building. I mostly do bass rods. I will probably only be using it for cork until I figure out the fancier stuff I can do.
Any other suggestions on what I will need?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jet Mini Lathe JML 1014I
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2013 06:12PM

[jettools-online.com]

1. A good chuck for the head stock. Either 3 or 4 jaw. Able to open to at least 4 inches.
2. A good Jacobs style chuck for the tail stock 0- 1/2 inch keyless.
3. An inexpensive set of turning chisels and gouges. Later on, you can get a better set.
3. A good way to sharpen your tools.
4. Depending on what width tool rests that come with the lathe, you might want to buy a couple more rests of different widths.
5. As you do more work, you will want to have the bed extension. Although you don't need the bed extension for a lot of work, the ability to simply slide the tail stock down and out of the way helps to make your work go more quickly.
Then, as you do make longer pieces; the bed extension is mandatory.

Over time, it is likely that you will end up picking up two or three more chucks of different sizes. You may also end up picking up a couple more Jacobs style chucks.
Many times, I will use a jacobs style chuck in both the head stock and tailstock when I am doing precise drilling.

6. One thing that is a very big asset is the purchase of a set of center bore bits:
[www.amazon.com]

Summary,
At the end of the day, plan on spending at least as much for accessories, as you spend for the Lathe. If you don't, you won't be able to make use of all of the lathes capabilities.

Another very very useful tool to have is a ball bearing steady rest. Either buy one, or make one to hold the end of a long piece of work stable when you have to work on a centering hole or similar:

I have made a set of these to use for my full length rod lathe to support the blank when I am turning a handle that is glued up on the blank.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

However, they work very well to support the end of a long work piece when working on the end of the work piece.

Here is a commercial rod rest:
[littlemachineshop.com]

and:

[www.woodcraft.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 06:18PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 22, 2013 09:49AM

Thanks!

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 02:28PM

Chris,
Roger W. is the Man!

I found these to be a little better on wear when using with graphite blanks.

[www.pennstateind.com]

I have a one with the metal bearings, and I am sure I am not using it right , but I was getting some wear marks on my blanks so I got the Penn version with the rubber/plastic rollers. I had to file the locking piece that locks the rest to fit my Delta midi, but it was painless.

What will be painful is the amount of $$ you will spend on this addiction!
Good luck.

Larry

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 03:58PM

As steady rests go, there are some very nice examples used by the custom pool cue crowd. If you're looking for the mid to higher end, you might want to check out [www.cuesmith.com]

Date: January 22, 2013 04:33PM

I guess my next question is what is a cheaper 4 jaw chuck for the headstock? I do several split grip rods and really want a good way to drill out the butt grips since you can't ream all the way through them.
My plan is to use the 3 or 4 jaw to hold the butt grip and use a chuck with a bit to in the tail stock to drill them out to make them fit.
When turning grips do most folks glue up the grips on a mandrel and then shape them on the lathe or do they glue them up directly to the blank and turn them that way?

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2013 04:53PM

You can do it either way, but shaping on a mandrel has a couple of advantages. First of all, you'll never split your new $200 blank because you won't be turning it at 2000+rpm on a lathe. Second, when you turn a blank the blank will deflect because of the spine, the faster you turn it, the more it will deflect (run eccentrically). If you shape on a blank, you will be shaping the grip round on a bent blank. When you stop turning the blank and it straightens back out, your grip will be slightly misshapen (you may or may not be able to notice this).

Using a steel mandrel will allow you to turn your grips faster and apply greater pressure than you can on a blank. Your grip will be smoother and more uniform in shape.

Again you can do it either way, but ask yourself this, why don't you find flexible turning mandrels for sale anywhere?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 07:06PM

make the butt end grips - without the end caps on Do them as said off the rod
Then glue the end cap on and shape it make sure it fits over the BUTT of the rod
easier then on the blank once you get the hang of how to do it
I make a piece of scrap blank to fit tightly ( using tape ) into the end put on a drill and shape
Scrap blanks come in quite handy

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 07:10PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2013 07:50PM

If you are getting any marks on a blank, be sure to put a couple of wraps on the blank before using the steady rests.

For my wrappers, I use rubber O rings on the steady rests to cushion the blank and no masking tape required.

But for the high speed lathe, whether doing a handle separately, or on a blank, I will be using masking tape on any thing that touches the solid ball bearing rests to avoid bearing marks.

The key is to use only a single wrap of tape. If you make the tape too thick, you will find that there is too much give in the steady rest and you will be unable to shape as well.

Be safe
Roger

\

Date: January 23, 2013 12:32PM

What speed is a good speed for turning cork handle?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster