I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix SCV Fly rod
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:12PM

Building a fly rod for myself and having some trouble with the thread color choice. It's a St Croix SCV 9'6" 8wt fly rod. The rod has a factory green coating on it that I'm having trouble deciding on main thread wrap colors. Leading contenders are Gudebrod medium brown or Chestnut, and Pro-Wrap Evergreen going with a same color theme.

Has anyone built one of these blanks and been especially pleased with a thread color scheme? I won't be using CP.

The rest of the build-REC reel seat in black, Fuji titanium stripper guides/top and REC snake guides.

This is a very nice blank and I don't want to build something less than great.

Thanks

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix SCV Fly rod
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:27PM

This is a nice blank. I've had luck with both gudebrod 206 garnet or dark green, using white NCP for trim on either. Since your reel seat is black, you might consider black with white NCP as well. Ultimately the choice is yours and use the one you like the best.

Terry

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:36PM

I recently built one and the customer wanted Gudebrod # 521 Candy Apple with gold trim without CP.
I initially didn't like the idea of a Christmas color blank but when finished it was very attractive.
He loved the combo and had several compliments from other fishermen on the stream.
The colors do POP in the sunlight.

Make up a test wrap and check it out.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 06:03PM

Funny, I thought about the garnet and thought it might be too Christmas like.

I did a green/black before and while it looked good, I was not as pleased as I thought I would.

Keep the ideas coming. My seat won't be here for a week from REC, so I've got plenty of time to do test wraps on the section that will end up under the grip.

Keep the ideas coming.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 06:03PM by Drew Pollock.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: January 14, 2013 06:09PM

Think about antique gold. with out Cp it's very nice against the green blank without being glaring.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: January 15, 2013 08:01AM

There is a Fishhawk variegated thread called 'SAND"' which if accented with bronze , copper or old Gold is very nice with black guides and fittings or with silver or green accents with silver fittings.
Use CP as goes lots darker with finish unless that is what you like.
I just love that 'sand' against green blanks, good cork and Pheasant feather trims.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 15, 2013 12:13PM

I have built a number of these blanks using Goudbrod Dark Green and either gold, silver or lime green metalic all without CP. They turned out very nice.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster