I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

power wrapper reamer
Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 04:56PM

I made a cork reamer by glueing sand paper on an old rod blank. Now I`m thinking of putting it in my power wrapper and using it to ream the holes out of my cork/eva grips. Has anyone ever successfully done this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power wrapper reamer
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:02PM

G'Day Peter do it all the time on Eva works like a charm .Just make sure that you don't overload the motor don't let it slow down too much

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:10PM

Why would you ever want to ream or sand on the same unit you wrap and apply finish on and risk the factor of dust or contamination.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:13PM

Peter,

You are better off using a power drill. Keeps your wrapper clean and prevent overloading the motor.

Andres Perez

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:26PM

Do not force the reamer and get it hot will soften the glue easy does it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: January 14, 2013 06:58PM

G'Day Ron I always run the Vac Cleaner over the bench & floor regardless of whether I sand or ream .I have been doing this since I purchased the wrapper around 4 years & about 200 rods & never had a problem it's just a routine that I have that works for me .As they say "Each to their own"

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 07:33PM

Hi,

Clemens lathe in the basement for dirty work.

Clemens lathe in the den upstairs for wrapping and finish work.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 08:49PM

Peter,
Here is another choice:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This picture illustrates a power unit that I made from an old 24 volt electric drill. I use a 0-30 volt DC power supply at 5 amps to power the drill.
A nice thing about this drill is that it is a two speed drill. i.e. 0-500 rpm and 0-3000 rpm.

When I need the torque and power, like doing your reaming, I shift to low gear.
When I am sanding and want high speed, I switch to high speed.

I picked up the drill for $3 at a Salvation army store. The power supply is based on one from an old Thomas Electric organ. The foot pedal to control the voltage from the power supply was originally a WAH pedal from an old Guitar amplifier.

There is a nice keyless 1/2 inch chuck on the end of the drill that nicely chucks up any solid rod up to 1/2 inch that I commonly use to put up the rod butts to turn the rods, if I am shaping cork, or doing cork glue ups on a rod blank. Very quick and easy to spin the rod blank while gluing cork rings on a blank.

The advantage of a power drill to handle these sorts of tasks is that the motors in the drill are designed just for the task. i.e. have plenty of torque and controlled speed.

-------------
If I am reaming a grip, I just find it many many times more convenient to hold an electric drill in one hand and the handle in the other hand.

I have tried to ream cork or Eva on a horizontal fixed power source as you advocate, and although plenty of power, I find that I lack the touch and control that I have with the power source in my lap and the rod in my other hand. This way, I can push from behind and have excellent touch and control on the reaming process. I find that whenever I tried to ream from either the front or side, that I lose much of the touch and control that I have from being behind my power source and handle that is being reamed.

Also, generally speaking the typical power wrapper simply does not have the necessary power and torque that is required of power reaming.

Good luck
Roger

Date: January 14, 2013 09:04PM

Peter,
If you want to use your wrapper for reaming, a quick and easy power source is to pick up one of these from Grizzley to do the turning for you:

[www.grizzly.com]

Basically, a horizontal stand for a variable speed corded drill that will nicely take care of your reaming needs. This way, you don't have to disturb your wrapper when reaming.

Roger

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 09:33PM

Pilot bits and hand ream from there.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-253-209.myvzw.com)
Date: January 15, 2013 06:28AM

Hi Peter,

In your post you said you were using sandpaper; you may have greater longevity if you use something like a sanding belt, or the flexcoat reamer abrasive mentioned in their video. I have been using my power reamers for several years, and love em!

Chris

[www.flexcoat.com]

Date: January 15, 2013 11:36AM

Chris,
Thanks for sharing the video.
Very instructional and very easy to do.

Be safe
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster