I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Amine Blush.......
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 01:54PM

Becoming a real factor......

Tried the suggestions of the mfg and still having issues with it.

Heating both parts before mixing, mixing for 12-13 minutes on the mixer. Lightly heating finish after application.

Only thing I'm not doing is drying in a heat box.

Suggetions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amine Blush.......
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2013 02:03PM

Amine blush is caused by a specific ratio of humidity and CO2. Although it does not affect the set nor cure time of the epoxy, it will cause an oily glaze on the surface of the epoxy. It can be removed, over time, or with exposure to warmth.

You're going to have to change the working environment in your finishing area. Where are you doing your finishing?

Date: January 14, 2013 02:07PM

Same place I've always finished.

I could see the humidity factor where I finish but any reasons for not seeing this before a couple months ago?

No problems last winter. Same finish. Same place.

Date: January 14, 2013 02:12PM

Somehow you hit on the just the right combination of humidity and CO2. You're going to have to change something. Either a few degrees more heat or more fresh air, etc. Just a change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 02:20PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: January 14, 2013 02:20PM

I'll tweak some things and see how it goes. Appreciate the feedback!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 04:37PM

What specific finish are you talking about?

Posted by: Greg Marshall (96.126.193.---)
Date: January 14, 2013 04:43PM

Adam,
If your talking about a slight white haze in the finish, I've had the same problems. I recently finished 8 rods that were exactly the same. The temp and humidity varied each time. My drying box only holds one rod so I only did one at a time. I usually take at least 3 coats of TM regular to get a rod done. Sometimes 4. I applied the warmed finish (I also heat the little bearing you use in the mixing cup/mixer as I am suspicous of cold metals and finish) with the rod up on the table and moved each rod to the drying box after I applied it. My drying box has 2 sixty watt light bulbs to keep it warm. They were all coming out great, but, on rod number 7, I did one thing that varied in my routine after the second coat. Seemed like a warm day and I wanted to give hand turning a try so I let it sit on top of the table in the rod wrapper to dry instead of moving it to the drying box. The amount I put on was so small that I really didn't need to turn it but I did anyway. After 30 minutes, I walked away and it looked fine. Two hours later, I came back and, on this coat, I got the haze (or blush as it may be). Bear in mind, I'm outside in a closed shed but the temp isn't controlled. On rod number 8, I went back to using the drying box and the problem went away. So, I've concluded that every rod I make, especially during this time of year, will go into the drying box. Lastly, though many here will disagree, I have never, ever, under any circumstance, humidity, temp, or whatever had this happen with LS. It's always been with FC and TM. But, for me, I have a problem getting LS on as thin as I'd like to lay flat and not football.

A drying box is well worth the effort and expense if you're not in an air-controlled environment.

BTW, when you come back to the rod after letting it dry, check the leftover finish in your mixing cup. If you see a cloudy striation in it (may be in the form of an X), I'll bet you've got a blush/ haze on a wrap somewhere. Look at em close. My experience is that they get worse over time.

Date: January 14, 2013 05:43PM

Greg, really appreciate your feedback. I'm using one of the finishes you mentioned and bought the other to try and get away from the blush issue. The blush I am getting looks like grease, its clear but you can see it. I've actually been able to wipe it away in some instances with my finger after letting dry in the sun for a bit.

I'll definitely take your insight into consideration and make some changes.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 05:52PM

In my experience, the cause has always been moisture, usually humidity in a cool environment. If you are mixing the epoxy that long in an high humidity environment, you may be introducing moisture into the epoxy mix. Two or three minutes should be sufficient.

Date: January 14, 2013 06:22PM

The mfg. of the finish told me to mix longer. Said my standard 5-7 minutes in the mixer was not long enough. So I tried their suggestion.

I've also heated up the mixing ball like Greg talks about.

Also tried not blowing out bubbles as to not introduce more moisture.

Its either the elements surrounding the finish or the finish itself. I'll keep crossing things off the list. ;)

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 06:41PM

I got this once in the winter when the room I was in was quite cold. I then bought a space heater and keep the room at 75F while rotating on the drier and no more issues.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 07:52PM

Over 40 years building rods, and I have never seen or heard of this blushing phenomenon.

Date: January 14, 2013 07:55PM

Blowing on the epoxy adds CO2, which creates the combination mentioned above. By all means don't do that.

It's a fairly rare thing. Neither humidity alone, nor CO2 alone, will cause it.

Date: January 14, 2013 08:00PM

Randolph, - come on by.......

I've struck amine gold!

Need a drying box anyways. Good excuse to get in gear!

Date: January 14, 2013 08:01PM

This earlier post from Ralph might contain some information that pertains to your situation:

Re: oily feeling on flexcoat lite
Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (24-113-2-43.wavecable.com)
Date: January 23, 2007 06:51PM

The resin contains epoxides, which combine with the AMINES in the hardener, to produce the cured epoxy resin. Polyamine Blush is certainly not caused by excess amines, as you imply. Polyamine Blush is technically an "Amine Carbamate", and there must be ample amounts of carbon dioxide and water vapor for it to form. This is why more appears on cool damp days than on warm sunny days. The film is water soluble and should be removed by dry wiping before sanding or painting.

Ralph

Date: January 14, 2013 08:08PM

Think I've got a good handle on things. Will follow up after adjustments are made and tried.

Thanks to all!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster