I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ideal rod dryer box temperature
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-255-117.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2013 02:13PM

I want to thank everyone that helped me with the heat source questions of the last thread I posted. I ended up using 18 inch bar under cabinet lighting. I installed four 18 inch bars with 3 twenty watt halogen bulbs each. Hopefully this will bring box to temp. Only question is what temp should I bring it to. I have heard 70, 72, 80, 90 and over 100 degrees. I am now using pro kote which requires a minimum of 72 degrees. Is there any advantage to going over say 75 degrees other than drying time? Thanks everybody!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideal rod dryer box temperature
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2013 04:54PM

I wouldn't go too high. You don't want to re-thin the epoxy once it's started to set nor do you want to quicken the set time so much that the product doesn't have sufficient time to flow out.

Somewhere in the 75 to 85 degree range should be fine.

Re: Ideal rod dryer box temperature
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 08:58PM

X10 on Mr. Kirkman's comment's.

It might make sense to install a thermostat in your dryer box so that you can use it to regulate your temperature.

Unless you are really in a cold area, I am guessing that you have way too much heat for your drying cabinet.

You have 3-twenty watt bulbs per fixture for a total of 60 watts per fixture.
Then, you have 4 fixtures for a total of 240 watts.

I suspect that 60 or 80 watts would supply plenty of heat. Perhaps - one 20 watt bulb per fixture might be just right. I suggest that you do some test runs with a thermometer in the box so that you can display the ambient box temperature.

Start out with 1 bulb per fixture and let the box run for 2 hours at a time and see where the temperature settles. Then, try 2 bulbs and three bulbs if necessary.

---------------
I have a few friends that use 3-25 watt bulbs in the box and find that the 75 watts does a very nice job of keeping the box at a nice stable 80 degrees.

I generally dry at a temp of 75 to 80 degrees.

Be safe
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster