I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advantages of a Power Wrapper
Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2013 07:39PM

What are the advantages of a Power Wrapper over a hand wrapper?

What are the key features of a power wrapper to look for?

Mikew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advantages of a Power Wrapper
Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2013 08:54PM

It saves some time over hand wrapping. Probably the greatest advantage to me, is that it holds the rod allowing you to work with both hands. I really don't know what to tell you about what features to look for. Mine is a bit dated. Most of the guys will probably tell you to upgrade the chuck. This is not a issue for me because I use a lathe for turning grips. Hope this helps a little bit. You aren't going to get any better quality but you do gain time and convenience once you get past the learning curve. If I don't feel like setting up the power wrapper I'll use my hand wrapper.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2013 10:40PM

Mike,
I wrapped one rod by hand and said, after wrapping that rod, that there must be a better way.
So I started building different kinds and variations of power wrappers.

A few things to look for.
1. Excellent chuck to safely and securely hold the rod.
2. Absolute smooth and linear speed. Especially have excellent speed control in the 0-2 rpm range where a lot of careful wrapping is done.
3. The ability to reverse the wrapper at the flip of a switch.
4. Good rod rests that hold the rod in a stable manner.

I often suggest the use of a DC gear motor to drive the chuck. By using a small gear drive on the end of the motor, you end up with a very small and compact power head that is easy to use and control. No need to have anything more than a single belt driving a 1:1 pulley.

Thousands or rods are wrapped every day on hand wrappers, It is likely that there is an even larger number of rods that are wrapped every day using a power wrapper.
As was suggested earlier, it is nice to have both hands free at all times. Also, if you are in the middle of a wrap with a power wrapper, you can stop, go to dinner and pick up where you left off with no break in the wrapping at all.

Good luck and be safe
Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 13, 2013 09:50AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Also, if you are in the
> middle of a wrap with a power wrapper, you can
> stop, go to dinner and pick up where you left off
> with no break in the wrapping at all.

I use a Sully hand wrapper and this is a feature of it. It has a spring tension device that allows full "hands-free" operation. Of course, a hand is needed to turn the rod when applicable.

I have owned both power and hand wrappers and prefer the latter. I only see an advantage to power wrappers for heavy rods which have very long underwraps. When it comes to light rods (everything but offshore) and fly rods, I think the benefits of a hand wrapper outweigh those of a power wrapper. I am fast and accurate with a hand wrapper, but of course practice makes perfect.

As far as what to look for ... they are all the same UNLESS you are going to spend the big bucks on a CPW or Renzetti. Go to the Expo next month and buy one that's on sale. Better yet, win one of the ones being given away as a doorprize.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2013 10:38AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.51.---)
Date: January 13, 2013 10:36AM

I can't think of any disadvantages to using a power wrapper.
Here are seven benefits that I can see...
1. Makes working on the rod easier, especially toward the tip section.
2. You can use a power wrapper as a sophisticated hand wrapper, if you want to.
3. I have some arthritis in my hands and winding more than a couple of guides can be painful.
4. Built in drying machine.
5. Ability to turn cork, or to lightly sand areas that you have filled.
6. Ability to sand out high spots in the finish.
7. Fast and easy way to apply finish.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 13, 2013 10:58PM

I second Jim Gambles post. I have both and NEVER wrap with the power wrapper. IMO, speed is the only advantage to the power and I'm just not in a hurry. Also, I find it way more convenient to sit in one spot and simply move the rod to wrap each guide rather than move myself to do the next guide. I can wrap a 7' rod without moving from my stool. Another advantage is that my hand wrapper takes up a couple of feet while my power wrapper takes up 8'. Since my wrapping bench is 8', it.s a no brainer for me. My wrapper is home made but I strongly considering the Eco Wrapper which is awesome as is the Sulkey

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.226.82.166.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 06:22PM

I can think of a disadvantage to a power wrapper; you have something else or new to learn. I would love to have a power wrapper, but I am afraid I would hate it and feel like I spent the money foolishly. I have the cheapest hand wrapper money can buy; found it on an action site and can't seem to find them anymore. Trully hand made and can't see why anyone would buy one, but I modified it and it works for me. If you all saw what I use to wrap rods you would laugh your tails off, but it works well for me.

If your just getting started in the hobby and can put a power wrapper in the budget, I say go for it. I can think of many things I could do better if I had one, but I can do everything I care to now without one. I am sure there are a lot of things I am missing out on in this hobby had I saved up and went the power wrapper way in the begining, but then my old school archaic style would be lost to the same old thing that I see others doing today.

As someone new, I guess it depends on what your after. I have no style, but in its simpliest form it has become my style; I am not artistic, never have been and never will be, nor do I have any desire to become something I am not. I do not have to please or impress anyone, nor do I care to; and that pleases me. I never accept anything that is unpleasent to the eye, and everything must be in a place where form and function meet. My style is to be simple and uncompliated, yet leaves one who looks upon it to have not want or need for anything else. It is my way, it is not for everyone, but it is my way.

Good luck on your journey,
Chuck

Date: January 14, 2013 08:00PM

Hi Guys,

I have a basic hand wrapper HW1 as listed in the Mudhole catalog. I have wrapped about 15 bass rods by hand using this tool. A friend gave it to me when he bought
a power wrapper along with a finishing motor. So far I have been able to do just about everything I want to do, maybe a little slower than with a power wrapper.

Hi Mike Barkley,
What features of the Eco Wrapper do you really like?

Mikew

Date: January 14, 2013 08:39PM

I drool over it at the Expo every year! It's an extremely versatile and well made wrapper and is expandable with several options. A little pricey but I think well worth the price Here are a few videos (I have NO affiliation with the product!!) [www.youtube.com]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Christopher Neil Wooten (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2013 10:37PM

Like the one guy said, I did one rod and said "this just @#$%&." My fingers were tired and cramped. Of course, I do some pretty extensive wraps and long butt wraps as a rule, and we won't even begin to compare the wrapper at 1000 RPM burning down underwraps for butt wraps and two-footed guides. Even guides too. There's no comparison. Rod building is a time-consuming endeavor; we only live a few decades, and then we answer to the one who supplied the time, intelligense, wisdom/tact/skills, etc. to begin with. It's a no-brainer, bro. I like to move on to the next creation and execution myself, and share much more of my gifts with more of the the world! I built mine from a 3/8 DeWalt drill running through a 100-volt transformer and a sewing machine pedal. My wooden blocks have (2) 1 dollar casters from Northern with a third on a 2X2 that swings down on a bolt with a wing nut to hold the blank in place securely. A couple rubber bands help too. Your challenge is the chuck. I made one, but ended upo ordering the 25 dollar one from Mudhole. If you want, I can email you pics of it.....

Date: January 14, 2013 11:35PM

Hi Guys,

I have a basic hand wrapper HW1 as listed in the Mudhole catalog. I have wrapped about 15 bass rods by hand using this tool. A friend gave it to me when he bought
a power wrapper along with a finishing motor. So far I have been able to do just about everything I want to do, maybe a little slower than with a power wrapper.

Hi Mike Barkley,
What features of the Eco Wrapper do you really like?

Mikew

Date: January 15, 2013 06:10PM

Hi Mike,
I replied one post up!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 18, 2013 04:41AM

I would be lost without power to the wrapper, can do almost anything and everything...its a must have...I have a quick touch clutch to knock it in reverse.

Posted by: Christopher Neil Wooten (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2013 07:18AM

Chuck;

Brother, I promise you, if you put even a moderately small amount of thread on your rods, you'll never feel foolish over that investment, it's a basic impossibility if you build any rods at all. I've always been a poor boy carpenter, and as I said below, I built my wrapper. There's not a lot to it. We're a creative bunch, and none of us should have any trouble coming up with something that works, probably from stuff you have lying around the place. I just screw my blocks down when I move them around on a 1X12. After 4 years, I've never had a situation where it would not lock down because of too many wallowed-out holes. Do it, man. Like anything else worthwhile, it's an investment. Time or money and thought, take your pick, but I guarantee that you'll never be sorry.

On my 110v drill that is built into a wood housing, I use a wedge at the trigger to limit the ultimate output of the drill. I switch over the plug on the sewing machine pedal from "motor" (which is variable by pedal) to "light" which is contant power, and bach the wedge way out for a slower, constant drying mode. You can even put cloth and stuff on top of the drill chuck to get it slow enough.

Hope this helps, bro.....Later

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster