I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2-piece
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 08:56PM

What's the best way to turn the tip section only in my rod dryer.I'd like to finish the rod in two pieces and up until now I've only done one piece rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2-piece
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 09:54PM

If you have a spare rod blank / broken rod section you can insert that into the tip section

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 10:04PM

I also use a wooden dowel with Masking tape arbor

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 11:21PM

bamboo cooking sticks an tape works for me [ ask your wife for some ]

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 05, 2013 12:47AM

Huh seems obvious now thanks for the responses I have a ton of old junk rods I can re-purpose

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2013 04:18PM

Use the cork from a wine bottle.Drill a hole in one end just big enough to snugly hold the end of the blank and insert it in the chuck or if you use flex-coat dryers,they fit perfectly into the rubber boot of them.It also works for wrapping tip sections,prevents jaw pressure on the blank.After a while your bench will have a bunch of these in all sizes and there's no excuse for not having them at this time of the year. "Happy New Year"! One last tip. Any cork that comes out of a bottle is going to have a compressed end section.Put it in the microwave on high for 30 second intervals, until the cork grows back to its full size.Works great on champagne corks too. (REAL CORK, NOT THE PLASTIC STOPPERS THAT SOME HAVE). Note: This advice does not apply to tip-over/ butt configurations if there is a ferrule wrap to be finished. In that case please take the advice from the above post'.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2013 06:14PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2013 06:15PM

Gaston,
Today I posted a picture demonstrating how I mount an upper section of a rod onto my home made dryer. Something like this may be helpful.

Jeff

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 12:22PM

If your wife (or if you do!) knits... aluminum knitting needles work great.
They come in various sizes and fit quite well in rod blanks.

I like them especially when I do those multiple piece 2/3wts and need to wrap the ferrules.

Larry

Posted by: Christopher Neil Wooten (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2013 05:04PM

I have some of these old junk blanks with a wooden arbor which is an 1 1/2 hole saw punch-out with the hole drilled/reamed until the blank fit right. Hold good in my chucks, and durable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster