I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson SW967
Posted by: Joel Smith (173.245.64.---)
Date: January 04, 2013 08:04PM

I'm looking to build a swimbait rod for a customer capable of handling hard bodied swimbaits in the 2-4 oz range (Spro BBZ 6" for example). His requirments are that he wants it to have a parabolic bend similar to a crankbait rod and that "it doesn't feel like fishing with a broomstick". After looking, I'm leaning toward the SW967. Has anyone built on this blank and would you think that it meets his requiremnets? Living in Georgia where the closest supplier is 500 miles away, it's hard looking through catalogs and internet pages to determine the perfect blank without actually holding it in your hands. I've by no means settled on this blank, so if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to hear them.
Thanks,

Joel Smith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson SW967
Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 08:12PM

Also call Lance at Swampland he has some interesting blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: January 05, 2013 12:08PM

There is an extensive review of that blank at www.calfishing.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2013 08:56PM

I would look at this blank

Batsons;
ISWB945 7’10” rated for 2-6 oz baits Fast action med/heavy blank.

Is also great for throwing Alabama rigs,
Some comments about the blank and the next heavier ISW946 in this thread from 2011
I think 967 is a little over kill for the weights he will be throwing

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 06, 2013 10:51AM

I agree with Steve. I think the 7 power would be an over kill. I have built on the 945 and the 946 for throwing the A Rigs and they work great. From my experience with these blanks, the 945 is better for throwing 2-6 oz baits.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 07:01PM

Hi Joel,

I built the Batson ISWB 945 last winter based on Steve Gardner's post. I threw A rigs with it the rest of the winter, and early spring. Iit is great. I saw you are in Georgia. I live in Lawrencville, northeast of Atlanta. If you are close you are welcome to see it.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Joel Smith (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 07:17PM

Thanks for the replys. Bert, I'm in Covington so we're probably no more than 45 minutes apart. I would love to see that rod sometime. I build rods for Randall Kirkpatrick's High Power Herring swimbait. A friend of his saw his rod and wants one that'll throw 2-4 oz baits but still wants that crankbait parabolic bend, if that makes sense. Trying to stay away from glass since weight is somewhat of a factor for him. My email is joeltiffany@BellSouth.net if you have any more input. Thanks to all for your input.

Posted by: Andrew Kumjian (---.stj.spawar.navy.mil)
Date: January 08, 2013 11:45AM

i built the SW1087 for plugging for stripers and love it. ive caught some big fish on this rod and it will throw small baits as well as big baits. i know its not the 967 but i would think being in the same line it would work for what you want it too do. i used the NGC and Fuji K Guides and it casts amazing.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 09, 2013 12:36AM

Like Andrew said the SW 967 and 1087 are nothing like the ISW swimbait blanks mentioned by others. I have built many "Do Anything" rods for the Pacific Northwest's larger species out of both the 1 and 2 piece models. If you've seen the video at the calfishing site, I think you'll see the rod under fishing conditions has just about perfect characteristics for what you discribed. A very sensitive and versatile blank, and I know BBZs have been fished on this blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster