I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather inlays
Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 01:06PM

Hello everyone, Quick question on feathers. Is there any common feathers that would do to practice on? I've tried a hummingbird with no success. I live in Kentucky so I was thinking about a Bob White Quail. Thanks for any help and "Happy New Year to all. Looking forward to the Expo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather inlays
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 01:15PM

The best, and some of the most common are from ringneck pheasant. If you know anyone that hunts them, have them save you a cape and it provides lots of options for using on feather inlays.

Terry

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 02:02PM

I have used guinea hen feathers for inlays. They're not particularly colorful, but you can obtain more than enough in any fly shop for next to nothing. Used in mass, they do produce a nice effect on the butt section.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Date: December 30, 2012 05:59PM

Thanks for the info guys. No wild pheasants in Ky. but I got a friend who has a hunting preserve and he is going to save me a sack full.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 11:26PM

Mr. Hodges,
What part of Kentucky are you from? I'm located in western KY, around KY Lake.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 11:26PM

Mr. Hodges,
What part of Kentucky are you from? I'm located in western KY, around KY Lake.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 31, 2012 09:10AM

Howard,
you may want to read up on the legality of using common bird feathers.
Most that you can get hold of and would want to use are covered by a CITES agreement.
Hummingbird or any bird that migrates is likely to be on the list.
Oh and CITES covers everything from butterflies(they are also illegal) to Ivory and Rhino horns(also illegal).
Just Google it and then go buy yourself some feathers from a reputable dealer and keep the certificate of origin.
This is critical if you or your customers plan to ever take your rod on a foreign trip, it could save you many problems, even lots of jail time .

Siskiyou up on the North West coast is one that comes to mind as a good safe source.

Some reading just to start you on this:

[www.fws.gov]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 10:03AM

Pick up a bag of fly tying feathers They also come in small bags of several so you can get several colors

I rinse mine in hot water then place in a paper towel to dry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-174-255-176.myvzw.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 02:09PM

Dyed feathers can bleed colors onto surrounding feathers and thread, and into wet cp. They can also fade, or change color when exposed to good fishing weather.

As a rule, I stay away from dyed feathers now.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 03:54PM

That is why I wash all feathers Just to be sure i always take a look at them - outside - in the sun just to be sure Have not noticed much of that

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 01, 2013 11:06AM

Frist off, thanks for the legal info, Lou. I should have thought of that but guess I was just excited about trying an inlay. I'm a retired Ky. CO and know several of the local federal officers.
Jeremy, I'm from Franklin and am friends with JB Hunt. You probably know me as "Doc" my nickname. I fish alot on the north end of Ky Lake and plan on stopping by your folks IGA next time I'm up there.
Thanks guys for all the info. This rod building has become addicting just like I was warned about. If it was not for this site I'd probably given up already. Now I'm looking forward to meeting alot of you in North Carolina next month. Jeremy, I'll be at our meeting in April and will be prepared to fish after the meeting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster