I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My new Power Wrapper
Posted by: Jim Quackenbush (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 01:06PM

My wife wanted to know what to get me for Christmas , and I have been lurking on this forum to get an idea of what it takes to buld a rod ......Good ideas from everyone has been very much appreciated .....I basically bought the American Tackle machine that was on sale from Mudhole just before Christmas and she paid for it , so it came in my name ...... I've been very busy with other things that need to be taken care of ( Santa duties ) .....I finally got to open the box today to check out my new Wrapper ..... I've heard that many folks ugraded the chuck , but thought that the one that came with the machine would suffice for the time being .... Frankly , as nice as the rest of the machine's hardware was , I was taken back by how toy like the chuck on this machine really is .....The more I looked at it , and tried to use it , the more I was embarassed for the company that built it ..... OK , so on to see how everything worked ....I plugged the machine in , and sparks flew , and the curcuit went out ...@#$%& ? ......... I unplugged the Wrapper , and took a closer look .....About 3 inches down from where the power cord went into the wrapper , the wire was sliced !!!...... Understand that this machine was taken out of the box and immediately put on a kitchen table with nothing else in the way ......This wire was either sliced during shipping or when the machine was built ..... I spliced the wires together , and wire nutted them and taped them up , and turned the machine on ......All went well except the chuck ...... I'm sure hoping that the ALPS upgrade chuck will fit this machine , because I'm not even going to try using the one that came with it .... I give you guys that use this chuck and come out with a well built rod a LOT of credit .....I do look forward to building my first rod on this machine .... Thanks again to all of you for all the info that this forum provides ........Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My new Power Wrapper
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 01:21PM

I've had the same basic model for years and apparently I'm one of the few who used the standard chuck successfully the whole time. The only thing I make sure of is that when I mount a rod in the chuck, I squeeze the chuck with one hand while tightening the wing nut with the other. I've never had a rod come out of the chuck when I did this.

I know the chuck upgrade is definitely better and if I was turning cork on this I would probably go for it as well. For wrapping, I found I've never needed it. Your mileage may vary.

Terry

Date: December 30, 2012 05:44PM

Hi Terry ,
Squeeze and Tighten huh ? .....I'll have to give that a shot .... Thanks for the tip ......Jim

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 09:05AM

Try a search on that wrapper chuck The first time a rod falls off and you have to redo it
It is worth getting the upgrade

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 09:16AM

Another good chuck design if you are just wrapping (not turning cork or wood) is the neoprene rubber chuck with a hole in it similar to the one on the Flex Coat drying motor. The neoprene grabs anything, just slip it in and go. No adjustments needed. Emory reminded me of this one, and it's what most of the production operations use for wrapping and finishing.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 09:56AM

I have two of these and have been using them for years Without the center rod holder Did not need it Never Had A Rod come off
For drying
[www.rodbuilding.org]
But if you plan to use that one machine for several things as a dryer-lathe You will probable be better with the upgrade

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 09:58AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2012 03:15PM

Hi Jim, the Alps Upgraded Chuck will fit that wrapper and works like a dream. I switched all the wrappers in the shop over and wish I had done it sooner. Have Happy New Year!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 05:39PM

Jim,
Another thing that works well is to take a couple of heavy rubber bands and put them around the jaws of the chuck. It will be a bit tougher to open up, but as soon as you let go, the binders will snap the jaws shut tightly against the rod handle. Then, just tighten the nut on the back of the chuck.

--------
For long term use, I much prefer the use of the Taig 3 inch chucks. These are high quality machine chucks and do an excellent job in securing the rod.

The only thing that you may have to do, is to have a machine shop make you a different head stock shaft, if the shaft diameter or thread pitch is not correct for the Taig chuck on your wrapper.

[www.taigtools.com]

Or, you could use the Taig headstock:

[www.super-tech.com]

The choices are endless and it is really up to you and your particular needs.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 05:42PM

Get Bit,
Since you indicated that you have switched all of the chucks in your shop, can you tell us the shaft size and thread pitch on the shafts of these power wrappers?

Thanks for the information.

Roger

Date: December 31, 2012 06:28PM

Thanks for the info guys ....I think I will use the chuck that came with the machine and adapt it as a seperate dryer chuck ......I can use a lot of the advise here to hold a rod that is drying and no real strain put on it with rubber bands or whatever ..... I will then go to the ALPS upgrade to build with as it will probably double as a turning machine down the road ..... I would like things to be as solid as possible, especailly just starting out ......I want to feel good about my rod building experience .... Do it right the first time around !!.....Thanks again for the great advise ....I know I will have many more questions ....Jim

Date: December 31, 2012 06:39PM

LOL !!.........I had a good laugh when I read Get Bit's reply about the ALPS upgrade chuck ....Then I saw his 10% off New Years ad and was ready to buy ......Then I looked again and saw that the ALPS Chuck was not included in the 10% off .....HAHAHAHAHHA......Just my luck .... :) ......Jim

Hey Get Bit ...How about free shipping to NY ? ......:)

Posted by: Matt Sewell (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2013 04:46PM

The Alps chuck is great. I have two of them. They will fit right on your current machine. Just bolt it on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster