I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MHX decal
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 12:14AM

When I epoxy over the decal I can still see the edge is there anyway to avoid this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX decal
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2012 06:56AM

I'm not sure exactly what type decal they use, but make sure you read the article on the LIbrary page or Decal Connection website about making decals completely transparent. This is for water slide types, of course, and may not work with peel and stick versions.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 30, 2012 07:24AM

If you are using light rod finish it usually takes two coats.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 08:16AM

With any decal, you need to apply a coat of epoxy BEFORE you apply the decal. In addition, as mentioned, you might need a second coat on top.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.147.---)
Date: December 30, 2012 08:52AM

I have not found that a pre-coat of epoxy is necessary on glossy blanks. It doesn't hurt anything, but I don't think it is necessary. A pre-coat on flat finish blanks will ensure that the decal adheres better and doesn't show the dullness of the flat finish blank. For the MHX type transparent peel and stick it will require two coats. At least this is my experience.

Posted by: Paul Luechtefeld (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 11:39AM

has anyone tried putting scotch tape over the decal before putting it on the rod. I have problems with fingerprints on edge of decal . With scotch tape you could hold on to it while applying the decal and then you could take it off. Was wondering if this would work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 11:40AM by Paul Luechtefeld.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 12:11PM

You want transfer tape, not Scotch Tape. To have labels come out perfect on every occasion, a coat of epoxy IS required underneath the label. The paint on a glossy blank is still porous when compared to epoxy. The idea is to have a truly fine smooth finish underneath to keep air pockets from appearing underneath or at the edges.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 03:14PM

A coat of finish first gives the decal a - floating -- look

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 03:24PM

I'll have to try a coat of finish first on my next build thanks everyone.multiple coats doesn't seem to hide the edge

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 05:20PM

Hard to explain, but I put on decal like a bandaid with two pieces of decal backing. This keeps me from having finger prints anywhere on the decal. I hold the decal on its edges and slide a scrap price of backing inbetween the decal and its backing. Then peel off original backing and use it to grab the free end. Now you should have a decal suspended in the middle by two prices of backing. Make sense?

And yes, 2 coats of epoxy is needed more often than naught.

Date: December 30, 2012 06:17PM

I haven't had a problem with fingerprints and even with two coats of finish I can see the edges of it.is that because its on a matte black background?

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 07:07PM

I don't know why it works but the first coat of epoxy is essential. Then place the decal, then the second coat of epoxy. It will not require any thing else like color preserver or other treatments. I was sceptical the fist time but the edges will vanish doing it this way. I think that's how Decal Connection suggests doing it as well.

Date: December 30, 2012 07:12PM

I'll give it a shot thanks

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.147.---)
Date: December 31, 2012 05:40PM

Gaston, the fingerprint problem is on the underside, the sticky side of the decal, and the tips presented should prevent that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 06:13PM

I have used - two - pares of tweeters Holding the decal on each end to get rid of the prints

But decal Connections decals are great Try them or even just one

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster