I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru Oil vs. Tung Oil?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 03:50PM

In reading through the thread concerning the use of Birchwood @#$%& Tru Oil as opposed to Cork Seal, I started wondering if Tung Oil would be a better choice. Does anyone have any experience with Tung Oil used on cork handles? I am very tempted, but I wanted to know if anyone knew why I shouldn't try it. Just curious.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru Oil vs. Tung Oil?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 28, 2012 04:55PM

Tung Oil never actually dries, so it would always have bit of an oily feel. Tru-Oil is a polymerized oil, more like a varnish, so it dries hard.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 05:43PM

Thanks. That's enough to dissuade me!

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 05:48PM

I just coated a couple of my fly rod handles with Tru-oil to see how they hold will up next year.
I normally use Cork-Seal but I have to re-coat every year sometimes twice.

Try it on a old cork handle before you put it on one you will sell.
Some people don't like the feel, and would prefer 'raw' sanded cork.

I don't mind it on my rods...I do like the feel of 'raw' sanded cork but I'm wearing a 'hole' in my cork grips so I'm looking at other alternatives.
I will probably end up with Carbon -fiber grips, but I am enjoying the testing with solid wood grips with Tru-oil , cork with Tru-oil.... epoxy coated. etc...

I digress...

Larry

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 28, 2012 09:22PM

Larry,
Polymerized oils like Tru-Oil, Pro Custom Oil and Permalyn take some time to cure thoroughly. I like to allow woods treated with PCO to cure for a month or more before using.

Jeff

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 29, 2012 08:24AM

If you like the feel of raw cork but want the protection you can use the Birchwood Casey sealer only. 2 coats of just sealer will give protection and that cork feel.

Dave

Date: December 30, 2012 01:27PM

Dave,
Thanks I will try the Birchwood Casey sealer.

With all these different finishes I have been using...I might have to put together a test-rod using "Hot-glue" for the handle and reel seat.
Just so I can test all these handles without having to build separate rods for them...hummm another experiment?
Can't see why it would not work

Please chime in.

Probably should start a new thread...and not steal this one.

This lathe has cost me a lot of $$$ in wood, but I sure am enjoying using it.

Larry

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2012 07:52PM

Tung Oil is a drying oil, and will cure to a solid. It's not as fast as Boiled Linseed Oil, but way faster than raw linseed oil. Tru Oil is polymerized linseed oil. Of course with any of these oils, they cannot be allowed to built a surface film because that film, even fully cured, will be soft. By the way, much of what is sold is not tung oil but "tung oil finish" which is an entirely different product, either just a straight varnish, such as the Forby's or an oil/varnish mix, such as the Minwax. Either would be a better product than pure tung oil since they would be much more moisture resistant and more durable.

Date: December 31, 2012 05:11PM

Steve,
Not sure what you mean by "...they cannot be allowed to built a surface film because that film, even fully cured, will be soft...." or are you just referring to 'tung-oil'?

I've got a number of Tru-Oil coated grips and they all have multiple coats (more than 3, some with 6 coats) and soft is not what I would call them. Granted they are probably not as hard as Perma-Gloss, but they are NOT soft.

Larry

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 06:31PM

Tru Oil is a guns stock finish and is NOT SOFT! It cures to a hard surface that can be polished to an extremely high gloss!

Posted by: Mel Chong (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: January 06, 2013 03:49AM

I have used Birchwood Tru-Oil to seal my cork handles and it suits my purpose. My customers love it. However, it does not dry clear and darkens the cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster