I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Size of lathe needed for turning grips
Posted by: Craig Strong (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:19PM

Looking to move my dust generating work out of my wrapping and finishing area. Would prefer a new lathe with a live center instead of rollers for this. I'd like to do other small woodworking on this machine.

How far between centers would you want in a lathe for your rod grip turning needs?

Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Size of lathe needed for turning grips
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:57PM

Hello Craig.

Are you EVER going to build a surf rod handle?

Good Luck and Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:08PM

Craig,
I used a 16 inch lathe for several years and it worked just fine most of the time.

However, this last year, I picked up an 18 inch lathe with an 18 inch bed extension.

The longer length and extension makes all of the jobs so much more convenient.

When putting handles in and out, inserting rods etc. it is so nice to be able to loosen the tail stock, slide it down out of the way, and then slide it back to lock up the tail stock.

But certainly a 16 inch lathe with an MT1 tail stock works most of the time.

But if you start with the slightly larger lathe with the MT2 head and tail stock, then you can buy all of your accessories in this size and not have to replace them all like I did this year.

Good luck
Roger

Here is a nice source to consider for either Lathes, or Lathe accessories.
If nothing else, by reading the catalog, you get a nice cross section of the type lathes that could work well for you.

[www.pennstateind.com]

For example:
[www.pennstateind.com]
A nice 10 inch lathe with bed extension. This one has variable speed, as opposed to a continuous speed change. But changing the belt is a very quick job.

Date: December 19, 2012 02:08PM

I'm not ready to say never on a surf rod but it's unlikely. I will be making a centre-pinning rod soon. 90% of my projects will be single hand fly rods and light spinning rods.

I can always take my current lathe (with rollers) out of the finish shop and do work on the occasional long grip.

Looking for an excuse to buy a precision wood lathe that I can make non rod related items but will serve most grip related needs, too.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:25PM

Hello Craig.

Roger has it right then get the 18" and if later you get a hair and want to go bigger you can without replacing the whole 9 yards.

Got to go!

Good Luck & Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: December 19, 2012 02:53PM

Looking at a used lathe on Craigslist that has about a 20 inch span I think. Hope to go see it/pick it up this evening.

Thanks for the input.

Craig

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:58PM

I have always turned all my cork and EVA grips on the rod blank. Wood pieces to add accent and for reel seat inserts I turn on a Rockwell wood lathe that I bought 35 years ago for about $100. Has a 48" bed, live center and I have done some very fine work on it. I have several different chucks for it including a Nova that is highly adjustible. I did all my cork and EVA work on rods up to 9' one piece, on a 4' Dale Clemens (Renzetti) lathe until this year, then I bought a 3' bed extention for it and turned it into a second wrapping lathe and bought a used Anglers workshop lathe, bought the same motor that it came with but turns CCW instead of CW and now turn all handles on this. Turned 12 in the last week. Works great.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:10PM

dont just think of the length of grips to turn but also centerboring them which takes much more room

Date: December 19, 2012 03:26PM

I'm looking at the birch bark article in rodmaker volume 9 issue 2. I expect to use random bark rings, cork rings and other thin materials built up to a length I can turn down and shape into a grip.

I expect that center boring will be limited to small lengths of wood to use as end caps.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:56PM

20" for me. Look at the Jet 1220. It is expandable to 48" in the crazy event you want to start making table and chair legs.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 06:11PM

Yes, all good advice. Get one that is at least 17"between the centers. I turn a lot of spey grips of 14" and my lathe is a PSI Turncrafter pro, 17", no bed extension. I just have enough room to do these grips on my lathe. A 20" would be fine. I've turned small bowls, reel seats wood grips and have made salt/pepper shakers, wine stoppers, even shawl pins which I now sell at the knit shop where my wife work. Once you get started, it progresses to many other things.

Terry

Date: December 19, 2012 06:29PM

I expect I'll be making bowls and shawl pins eventually, too, Terry.

I just got a call back. It's a 12" span: [portland.craigslist.org]

With no indication in the listing, it looks bigger than that.

I'll keep searching.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster