I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MIcrowave Guides and Braided
Posted by: Ben Hickman (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:20PM

I built a 7" spinning rod using the suggested guide placement for the microwave system. I am using 20# braid and i am getting knots in the line every other cast. I am considering using the 27x method for this but wanted to get some feedback. Anyone have any recommendations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MIcrowave Guides and Braided
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:33PM

I had a problem with knots getting on my spinning reel
Seems my bait was spinning and causing the line to twist thus causing knots
A swivel in line should help

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Henn (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:52PM

Where are the knots forming? Near the lure or at the end of the line near the spool?

If you are fishing out of a boat, run the line out 100 yds or so for a few minutes without a lure. If the line is twisted, it will straighten out.

Too much line on the reel will cause knots but you must have thought of this.

Knots may form at the reel end of the line sometimes when casting into wind. Solution it to lift rod quickly as lure hits water to take up slack of extra loops coming off reel.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:02PM

I just got 4 sets of Microwaves yesterday and am going to start wrapping this afternoon. I am not too fond of their guide spacing recommendations. 2 7/8" from the tip seems unnecessary to me.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:51PM

I haven't exprienced knots on casting at all. I have built several rods with them and haven't had anyone mention this, yet. I use 2 rods with MW when fishing all day, and haven't ran across the problem, fishing with popping corks and casting into the wind.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:54PM

No problems here, probably 100 rods in the field and I use them personally. As a note ... I use the Original Microwave guide, not the newest configuration, so I can't particularly speak to that product.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 03:55PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 05:09PM

We had a lot of knots too - when we casted and retrieved on grass or on teh blacktop in a parking lot. Explain your set up, reel, line, rod, what you are casting, etc.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 05:21PM

Any guide spacing chart is that -a suggestion
If your Static test shows a different spacing Try it See which works better Test cast the rod with both

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 05:31PM

When I had the same problem on the setup that I built, I cut off the microwave guide and moved it another 3 inches closer to the tip of the rod, and that took care of the problem.

Roger

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 20, 2012 08:56AM

Ben, what size reel and what type of braid?

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 06:02PM

Ben:

Do you close the bail manually?

Posted by: Ben Hickman (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 11:16PM

I am using a Shimano Saros 2500 with 30# power pro. It is on a 7" Northfork Composite. The knots are forming closer to the reel. If it is just twisted I will feel like an idiot. I am new to the braided world but I love the sensitivity. I am also new to the MW setup. Thought I would try something new. I usually throw 1/8 to 1/2 oz jig and do not manually close the bail. I will try and check the line before I do anything drastic. Thanks fellas.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 21, 2012 12:38AM

Ben,
If you have a spare spool, put a spool of mono on it to see if you have the same situation.

Roger

p.s.
Has the line been on the spool for a while, or is it a fresh load of line on the spool.
If it is a fresh load, how was the line put on the spool?

If in doubt - and if you have open water, take the rod out in the boat and with nothing on the end of the line, gradually let line off the reel as you troll along with the boat. Let all of the line off of the spool until you are down to the bare spool. Troll for a half mile or so, insuring that all of the stretch, loops and knots are out of the line. Then, slow the boat to a crawl and reel the line back on the rod, just using the water drag for resistance.

Sometimes line is put on a spool in such a way that the line is going to twist very badly. The afore mentioned method is a 100% fool proof way to insure that all loops, knots and stretch have been removed from the line.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 21, 2012 09:25AM

Ben,
i will 90% say your problem is not closing the bail by hand.
It may have be made worse by how it was put on the reel at first too.

The microwave is great at stopping new twists forming as the line goes down the guide train from the reel but not removing ones already there..
Rogers idea of letting it flow behind a boat or letting it out in a fast stream can remove twist.

Posted by: Wayne. Dye (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2012 11:11PM

Probably not your problem but make sure you're not cranking against the drag. this will put line twist in faster than you can kiss a duck.

Wayne

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 24, 2012 11:53AM

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ben,
> i will 90% say your problem is not closing the
> bail by hand.
> It may have be made worse by how it was put on the
> reel at first too.
>
> The microwave is great at stopping new twists
> forming as the line goes down the guide train from
> the reel but not removing ones already there..
> Rogers idea of letting it flow behind a boat or
> letting it out in a fast stream can remove twist.

Wayne. Dye wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably not your problem but make sure you're not cranking against the drag. this will put line twist in faster than you can kiss a duck.

These two tips should solve 90% of your line twist problems. I use braid exclusively on my bass spinning rods and seldom have line twist problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster