I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Computer Suggestions?
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 19, 2012 12:36PM

Hello to ALL.

I am at present planning on a laptop but any and all suggestions are welcome.

I have some old exel & word programs I would like to put on it, some rod building programs such as a weave and a wrap program.
Any and all other suggestions you might come up with that I think I could use and or understand in time.

In short: what type and model computer and programs do you recommend?

Thanks for any and all help in this matter as I am rather computer illiterate and need all the help I can get.

Thanks Again.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Computer Suggestions?
Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:09PM

When I got a new laptop for work, I dedicated my old one to my rodbuilding area. Three upgrades really helped me. First, I bought a 42" HD tv/monitor and placed it behind my wrapping area on a lazy susan, so images, photos, or texts could be easily seen from a distance and at any angle. This allows me to call up all my patterns, wraps, notes, etc. and view them from my chair as I work on a rod. It allowed me to get rid of all my paper notes and files and keep my wrapping area clear and orderly. Everything is there at my fingertips any time I need it. Second, I built a large keyboard tray the entire width of my wrapping bench so my keyboad and mouse could move with me along a rod as I work. Third, to clean things up even further, I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse which made moving the keyboard and mouse along with me even easier.

I'm planning to purchase and install both visual weave and visual wrap software soon.

Date: December 19, 2012 01:42PM

Hello John.

Thanks for the information, I already have the Visual Weave and Visual Wrap programs and just need to figure out what computer to buy.

I was thinking a laptop, if the batteries can be trusted and the memory large enough.
Maybe set up a station in my shop and in the house and use the same laptop on all the different peripherals in both buildings.

Thanks Again John.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:13PM

Bob,
I have a desktop in the computer room, and a laptop in the work shop.

But I mainly use the laptop for its processor.
I have a remote keyless keyboard and mouse.

I have also installed a 24 inch monitor for the laptop as well.

The laptop is just so much more convenient to use with the larger keyboard, mouse and monitor.

I have the router installed in the computer room, so that the laptop is connected via wireless connection. I will admit that I access the laptop rather frequently through the day. I use it to check on jobs, order parts, check on and save techniques. etc.

Also, I use the video camera on the laptop to Skype to others when working with others to share techniques and details.

Skype is a great thing to have on the laptop.

The one suggestion that I could make would be to buy the fastest computer that you can afford. The computers tend to age fairly quickly, so the faster computer you purchase, the longer the service life of the computer will be.

Be safe
Roger

Date: December 19, 2012 02:17PM

A very basic laptop will be fine (at least it is for me but I don't do any videoconferencing or advanced stuff like that), just make sure the video system has the maximum resolution to run a large high resolution monitor if you want to do what I did. If you get a used laptop, I'd check to make sure the battery condition and power supply are up to snuff, (my laptop has software to check the condition of both) otherwise I'd stick to a used desktop. Win XP will run the Visual Wrap and weave. However, if you go with Vista on a used computer or Win 7 on a new one, you'll have to manually patch the visual wrap software.

That's what has me from not yet biting the bullet on both the software packages; I feel somewhat intimidated by having to manually patch the visual wrap software to run on Win 7.

As of a couple weeks ago, I couldn't get any info on Win 8 compatibility when I posted that question here. I guess deep down I’m hoping they will offer a pre-patched version of wrap for sale; if they do, I’ll but both then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2012 02:20PM by John E Powell.

Date: December 19, 2012 05:20PM

John,
If you are going to be buying a used laptop - I don't know that it makes any difference at all - the shape of the battery - if you leave the laptop plugged in all of the time.

For long term use, virtually all laptops are plugged in anyway.

But, of course if you portability, then the batteries are important.

------------
I just moved some computers to windows 8 this week.
Basically, after loading windows 8, I have spent about 10 hours to get rid of the windows 8 look and restore the windows 7 look. I am nearly done.
The thing that I really appreciate about windows 8, is the speed of the operating system. Very very quick. Also, very quick boot. Much less system resources are used.

Although not using any weaving software, I was able to restore every application that I had running before on an earlier operating system.

The only way that you are going to know for sure if Windows 8 will support your rod building program is to try it. However, I suspect that it is somewhat current - that it will work for you.
But test to be sure.

Be safe
Roger

Date: December 19, 2012 05:49PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:37PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.226.82.166.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 07:01PM

Bob,

Most of the folks who wrote those programs can't keep up with your questions; you maybe the "guppy." It is hard to say what your files, and how your programs, are going to do playing with a new operating system. The best you can do is back-up what files you have, and hope the application programs play well with the new operating system. Deal with one issue at a time and dig the new "Puter."

Chuck

Date: December 20, 2012 12:41AM

John,
I read and understand your comments.
But I actually know of no lap top that will not function just fine with no battery pack in the laptop case and plugged into the 110V outlet.

They may certainly be out there, I just don't know of any.

Roger

Date: December 20, 2012 06:28AM

Hello ALL.

Been busy checking out, retirement 2 Jan but computer shutdown any time between now and then.

Well I decided to go for a laptop, but what manufacturer? That is the question of the day.

Thanks for all the help so far folks keep it up, I will throw out a thread just before they shut me down.

Thanks again.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.lnse2.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 20, 2012 06:34AM

Hi John,

Your question about Win8 compatibility was answered a little while ago: [rodbuilding.org]

I am in discussions with a party regarding a possible patch for Win 7 & Win 8. Not sure if it is possible at the moment but hoping so. In the meantime it can be patched manually following some instructions (if you are computer literate and confident), or I can do it remotely.

- - - - - - - -

A general comment regarding the VisualWRAP software: It was developed over 10 years ago and released in 2002 when Windows 95 was current. I wrote the software before meeting any other rod builders. Since then Windows has changed flavour multiple times to the extent that patches are now required to make it run. These patches are relatively minor however require some inside knowledge (which I am always happy to share and have published on the VisualWRAP website). I receive many comments and even complaints about not releasing a new version that will address patching issues. I completely understand the desire people have to see a trouble-free installation. The fact is that the rodbuilding software market is tiny, I have already dedicated thousands of hours to writing and supporting the software, and there is zero financial incentive to make any more changes. The reality is that even if a new version were to be released it would likely need revision every couple of years to keep up with the latest Windows changes. As a comparison, how would people like to have to re-wrap every rod they have made every couple of years just because someone decides to change rod building rules? I maintain the software and help people get it installed as-is because it is a great tool (in my opinion) and I have a genuine desire to support people in their rod building endeavours. In support of this sentiment I have been a long-term sponsor of the rodbuilding.org site as I believe it is a great resource for all of us involved in this craft/hobby/business.

I hope this doesn't sound like a rant, as it's not intended to be. I would just like people to understand the VisualWRAP position so they can make an informed choice regarding whether or not to invest in the software. I am always ready to answer questions by email and say it as it is.

As an aside, what I would like from Santa for Christmas is for somebody to show some initiative and come up with a brand new version of wrapping software so I can spend less time supporting and more time wrapping! lol.

- - - - - - - -

Robert,

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. VisualWEAVE and VisualWRAP will run on any version of Windows. If you install VisualWRAP onto Win XP it will run just fine. On Win7 or Win8 there are some tweaks that I can assist with. VisualWEAVE is fine on Win 7, I have not yet tested in on Win 8.

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Date: December 20, 2012 07:05AM

Hello Dave.

Thanks for the information, I will be getting up with you later(maybe) depends on how things go, I already have both programs(2 years ago) but have not gotten a home computer yet(busy).

Thanks Again.

Tight Wraps(When You Have Time).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: December 20, 2012 09:14AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:25PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: December 20, 2012 09:25AM

When looking for a brand/manufacturer for a laptop, look a the support. Unlike a desktop, a laptop limits you with respect to replacement parts. You will be going back to the manufacturer if there is an issue. In the past I have had good luck with both Dell and Toshiba.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Comments deleted
Date: December 20, 2012 09:27AM

Comments deleted

Date: December 20, 2012 11:35AM

Hello ALL.

Thanks for the information Chris.

Thanks John, how long did your first battery last? How long did your second one last, or is it still going?

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Comments deleted
Date: December 20, 2012 12:24PM

Comments deleted

Date: December 20, 2012 01:51PM

Hi John,
No need to apologise and certainly no offence taken, it's just that you mentioned VisualWRAP patching and Win8 in the same sentence, which I felt I had explained. Wrap has been tested to work on Win8 with some tweaks. It is Weave that remains untested at this stage. I suspect Weave will run OK on Win8 because it runs OK on Win7 without tweaks.

Compatibility issues aside, the one piece of advice I would give anybody regarding PCs and laptops is to "back up regularly". It is only a matter of time before a hard drive will fail, and that can be a most stressful and heart-breaking experience if you can't recover quickly. Yes, I speak from bitter experience. External storage drives are cheap nowadays and let you store a large number of backups relatively easily. It is a small investment to make for piece of mind and future security.

Regarding battery life, I tend to use my laptop with the power supply always plugged into the wall. And I found that the battery capacity diminished very quickly. Perhaps it is a good idea to use the battery as intended, ie often unplug it from the wall and regularly discharge it through use, then charge it again? Another lesson I learned was that when I ordered a replacement battery I chose a cheap generic equivalent from an online store, and the result was that I wasted my money. The battery became useless in a very short period of time.

Good luck to all with their computing experiences. Computers are a wonderful tool, and are evolving all the time. I guess that is a bit of a double-edged sword.

Regards
Dave

Date: December 20, 2012 01:51PM

Sorry, double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2012 01:54PM by David Boyle.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2012 04:05PM

David Boyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Compatibility issues aside, the one piece of
> advice I would give anybody regarding PCs and
> laptops is to "back up regularly". It is only a
> matter of time before a hard drive will fail, and
> that can be a most stressful and heart-breaking
> experience if you can't recover quickly. Yes, I
> speak from bitter experience. External storage
> drives are cheap nowadays and let you store a
> large number of backups relatively easily. It is a
> small investment to make for piece of mind and
> future security.

Hi David,

I got tired of doing backups and installed a Drobo File Server.

It does not require much PC knowledge to install and set up. The Drobo I selected has a small foot print and I loaded it with three of the 2 terabyte drives. The operation is similar to RAID where the information is spread across the drives. Should one drive fail, the information is reconfigured across the remaining two drives. You are still in operation. Unsnap the front cover, replace the failed drive, and the Drobo reconfigures for three drive operation, There are a couple of modes that you can choose from. For the most part, my applications are on my PC and data (pictures, spread sheets, docoments) are on the Drobo. Since there are ongoing updates to operating systems and application, I do occasionally back up my C: drive to the Drobo.

I have Cat5 cable from the Drobo to my PC. You could probably install a wireless router to the drobo to enable servicing several PCs or lap tops.

The cost of solid state drives is down a little. You may want to consider one for your PC.

The website for Drobo is:
www.drobo.com
They have some informational videos that show the simplicity of operation.

Hope this helps,
Don

Don Becker

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster