I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placement
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.siemens.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:06PM

I will be using Pac bay mimina 4 guides CSV4CG series for a spinning rod. # 25, 16, 10, 6,6,6,6,6,6,....... 9 guides total

The length of rod from center of reel seat to tip is 72 inches.

The first guide will be #25 placed 25 inches from the center of the reel seat.

Please give suggestions where to place the choke guide (10?)

The number of guides between the butt guide and choke guide ( I am thinking 1 guide)

I can figure out the spacing from the choke guide to the tip.

Reel: Shimano stradic 2500

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placement
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:08PM

Library Page Up on the right Article on guide spacing for spinning rods

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Roman Chamine (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:50PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Library Page Up on the right Article on guide
> spacing for spinning rods

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the advice. Is it possible to add the casting rod guide article to the library as well?

Thanks,
Roman

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 03:02PM

casting rod line comes off the reel in a - straight line - where as a spinning line turns and comes off in - pig tails that have to be straighten to flow better Thus all the different ways and guides coming out to do this
A lot of builders have started with micros as butt guides on casting rods

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 05:29PM

John,
Very simple -
Load the rod, as if you were fighting a fish. Then, put a guide anywhere on the blank to insure that the line can follow the contour of the loaded blank.
If the blank is not bending in a spot, you don't need a guide at that spot.

I suspect that the first guide down from the tip will be about 3 1/2 or 4 inches on this blank. Quite likely that the first 2 guides will have about the same spacing. Then, increase the distance between guides as needed to follow the bend in the blank.

I just take a roll of 1/8th inch masking tape, and clip off the same number of pieces as planned guides for the rod.

Then, load the blank as if fighting a fish. Put a piece of tape where it appears that a guide is needed to keep the line following the loaded blanks contour.

This typically takes about 2 minutes.

Then, tape a guide at each tape location.
Then, mount a reel in the reel seat, thread the line through the guides and tip top that is already installed on the rod.

Grab the end of the line and pull a bow in the rod, and eye ball the run of the line. Tweak any guide that needs it, and also either add or delete guides as needed.

Only put enough guides on the rod, to keep the line in a reasonable contour that matches the loaded blank.

Finally, with the blank straight and very light pressure on the line, reel in a bunch of line - while observing the movement of the line through the guides. Generally speaking, there should be close to 0 line rub on any guide during the line retrieve. If you find a guide rubbing on the line - reposition the guide or change the size of the guide.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 06:07PM

9-guide set-up
Distance from tip

3.5 7.5 11.8 16.7 22.2 28.2 35.0 42.5 50.9

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 07:25PM

Hi,

Learn how to do Static Deflection for guide locations and you will never have to ask that question again. It is very easy to do.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2012 08:35PM

The line path will tell you what sizes to use and where to place them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 10:44PM

A size 25 Minima 4 is a very tall guide. I typically do not need anything larger than a 20, especially with the high frame Minima's. It's not necessarily the size of the ring as it is the height of the guide. I would lay it out according to the article in the Library and see if you really need a 25 or not. I just rebuilt a 6'6" spinning rod with Minima 4's and used a 16 for the butt guide. It lined up very nice and casts great. The reel on that rod is a Pflueger 6725 XT.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 20, 2012 09:42AM

The Stradic 2500 is in the GPS library. You're four clicks away from a printed layout sheet. Oops, sorry, just noticed you're using Pac Bay. You will have to cross reference heights, but it can be done.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster