I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo pole material for reel seats
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 05:28PM

Wondering if anyone has tried bamboo stock for making reel seats. I'm speaking of selecting the right diameter garden pole that would require a minimum of turning to achieve the right dimensions, as the outer sections are only usable. I know this material has a propensity to split but if it is sealed and glued to the blank, maybe this would eliminate that? The material is pretty inexpensive.

Looking for other's experience here. I love the look and it's an easy experiment to try, just never know the long term durability.

Thanks!

Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo pole material for reel seats
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 05:34PM

Just thinking here
But
Like rod making if you can cut it into strips and glue it together
Then turn to size

That stuff should be nice
Check the - Buy Sell page Some one is selling some

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 18, 2012 06:04PM

I tried that route once. I got a section that was almost the right O.D. carefully cleaned out the interior and turned a cork insert to fit. then mounted in on the lathe and gently cleaned off the enamel outside. I ammonia fumed mine then mounted it on the rod. all in all I thought the wall thickness was a little thin and finding a piece that wasn't split was a bit of a bugger.
another approach is to find a stick of cane that is about 2-3" in diameter with a decent wall thickness. I found some at pier one for about $10 for 3 7' sticks. take a 1 1/8" hole saw and cut out coins of bamboo. you will have to sand the curves a little to get them to stack on top of each other. I think it took me about 18-20 coins for a reel seat. anyway, take the coins, glue then together and clamp them. when they are dry, run a mandrel through and turn to size. this gives you sort of a scale pattern.
third option is to go to a flooring store like a lumber liquidators and get some scrap/sample pieces and glue those up and turn.
or buy some bamboo pen blanks and use that.
I know this is long winded answer to your question but I think you would be better off than going with the garden stake.

Date: December 18, 2012 07:55PM

Thanks Gary.

No apologies, exactly what I was looking for. I would think the coin idea would give you the same pattern as the vertical flooring. I would think that laminating some flooring samples would also give a good effect.

Good ideas and thanks.

Terry

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2012 10:20PM

I don't think you would like an insert made of bamboo. Not enough surface area to show off the subtle colors and grain of the bamboo. I would stick with a highly figured wood, or some of the beautiful spalted and impregnated wood by Steve Kinkaid. I just bought some and it is fantastic.

Date: December 18, 2012 11:09PM

Yup, I buy wood from Steve as well and do like his selections. Always looking for something different.

The idea came from another idea as I was making some bamboo wading staffs to sell in my booth at the fly fishing shows coming up. The cut-offs were about the right size and the bamboo grain is pretty striking, even though not figured like spalted maple or some of the burls. The wading staffs look cool by the way so maybe I'll sell a few of those and lure some folks into the booth for the rod sale.

Terry

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: December 19, 2012 07:09AM

Hello Terry.

What about gitting a bamboo rod guy(or gal) to give(or sell) you some of his(or her) split scraps(already Flamed) and build it like a rod and then drill and trim to fit?

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 08:31AM

I have turned one of the bamboo pen blanks. I found that there was tearout on the piece that I used. DON'T run your hand over the turned blank. slivers will happen. It was on okay look.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:03PM

bamboo stock is available in a good selection. here are some bamboo handles t ogive an example
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:14PM

John,

I especially like the bamboo parquet grip, #4 from the top. It reminds me a lot of the many end grain cutting boards I have made for friends and family. I never considered doing something similar to that. Thank you. I bet blending in some zebrawood would make that style grip pop if someone wanted a grip with more bling.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 19, 2012 01:35PM

well, after looking John's work I got to thinking. you could probably pick up a cheap bamboo cutting board and cut it up and use it. I think I saw some at Ikea last time I was there. May be worth a trip.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 02:53PM

Don't know what it will look like but What about Bamboo flooring Cut into rings
fine sanded cleared polished

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2012 06:24PM

There is a source for bamboo blocks that are 1 1/2" thick. Some of this was used for the grips in JP's photos. Below is the information.

Source is: www.totallybamboo.com If you go to their "counter top" tab and then to "sample kit" you will see the images and description. For $34.00 you can get 10 pcs 4" X 8" X 1 1/2" each in a different lamination configuration. From this you can turn 20 grips.

Date: December 20, 2012 10:10AM

Great answers from the turning crowd. Should have known that John T. had already solved this problem.

Thanks again everyone. I have all the ammo I need to make some cool stuff.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster