I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Master
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 03, 2012 12:27PM

Have a lot of the high build TM.Am not pleased with my wrapes think they are too bulky.I was wondering if anyone has added acetone to the Thread Master to thin it down. Ive done the drill not using lots of TM. always turn the rod by hand letting excess accumulate,and remove. Still not satisfied. If some one has used acetone what part acetone to TM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Master
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2012 12:54PM

Don't let excess accumulate. Don't apply any excess. Use a stiffer brush and simply put on less.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2012 12:54PM

I have used DNA successfully to thin TM. Keep in mind that when you add something to the epoxy, you will change it's curing time. In the case of the DNA it slowed the TM appreciably.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2012 01:13PM

Hello Maryann, If you want to get rid of some I am always looking for a deal,lol! Now that I am getting a whole lot better on applying epoxy high or lite formula, just let me know in an email good luck!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (38.127.195.---)
Date: December 03, 2012 01:27PM

Switch to TM lite.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 03, 2012 04:10PM

I've been down the high build vs lite formula road a few times. In my experience lite formulas tend to migrate to the centers of my wraps as gravity does its thing. This seems to occur no matter how little epoxy I apply. I've found that my wrap finishes end up more level using high build formulas. It is possible to apply three coats of high build epoxy and obtain a thin, delicate looking finish - if you read Tom's post carefully.

Jeff

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 03, 2012 04:54PM

Hi Maryann,
I've been using Threadmaster high build for a few years and think it's a good finish and it doesn't appear bulky to me and I usually use two coats like this one [www.rodbuilding.org]. I think you should do several test wraps on a scrap piece and do some experimenting with your finish application. Sounds like you are using way too much.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2012 01:06PM

Hmmm. I read these finish posts and wonder what folks are doing. I'm a threadmaster light guy, and make successful, level finishes almost every time, almost always in 1 coat. I occasionally need to touch up so if I err, it's on the too little side.

I use a spatula, not a brush, but I think good techniques can be had with both methods.
The amount applied is pretty critical. Too much and it balls up on the guides, or becomes wavy on the butt wrap finish.
Apply and leave it. 10-20 seconds per wrap max.
I rotate my rod on the wrapper by hand to apply. A fast spin on the edges for a clean line, then a couple of turns to fill in the middle with a loaded spatula.
Set it on the dryer and go do something else.

Hope this helps but I know finish can be affected by temp and humidity as well as the application methods. I think Tom and others have suggested trying several brands to see which best fits your style. I like the TM lite results but wish it cured a little faster.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster