I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just wondering
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 10:29AM

Im building a Pac Bay Quickline 11 foot switch rod7 weight.What would be considered average casting distance for this rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just wondering
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2012 10:38AM

That depends entirely on the line you choose and the skill of the person doing the casting. It's certainly capable of easily casting 100+ feet.

Date: November 10, 2012 11:25AM

I know you could fill a library with books written about line and weight. In your experience where would be a good starting point so I can begin to choose the proper line . This is the first rod Ive built with what I would call a medium action. I'm use to a medium fast casting rod with a quicker recovery. Im sure my casting style isn't picture perfect.I've followed the building protocol to a "T" static guide placement test ,casted the rod ,tweeked the stripper guides and the size,used the lightest guides that would pass the knot. The only thing left is the line , perhaps the wrong line for the job?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 11:30AM by Maryann Cohen.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 11:46AM

How do you intend to cast it? Single, two handed or Spey?

Date: November 10, 2012 11:49AM

single and 2 handed

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2012 03:05PM

Okay, two totally different lines for single hand and double hand casting. You can get away with one, but you are going to be selling yourself short. Trying to use one line for both, you are just not going to get the full potential of that blank when switching casting styles.

First, single hand, your rod is "rated" (and I use that term lightly) for a 7wt. To single hand cast, as in the type of cast you would use for a standard single hand fly rod, you are going to need at least a 9 or 10 weight standard fly line to load that rod. Its going to take some playing around with different lines till you find the right one. One of my Switch rods is rated at 4/5wt, for me to single hand cast it, I have to use a Cortland Salmon/Steelhead 7wt floating line on it and it can easily power out 80 feet with my crappy casting.

Double hand cast, as in spey style casting look to some of the new Switch Lines that are being offered by Cortland and Rio. What will also work is a Short Belly Spey line. You can also experiment with shooting heads and sink tips. Switch rods operate on a grain window, very similar to a Spey Rod. Now the window is pretty wide and can be confusing to someone that is new at this, it took me a lot of playing around and help from some friends that are avid Spey anglers to get my Switch rods dialed in for my casting style. Same rod above, the 4/5wt, if I want to double hand cast it, Spey style, I use a Cortland 6wt Short Belly Spey, it will easily launch that line out to around a 100 feet. One of my friends that is very good at spey casting can cast the entire 120ft line with it.

Take a look at Bob Meiser's website. There is a decent amount on information there on the grain window for Switch rods. I would also look for someone that is local to you that is into Switch and Spey rods, most are usually pretty willing to lend a hand.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 04:24PM

Bill, "two handed" and "spey" are not necessarily the same! You can two hand over hand cast the same as a single hand cast, many surf casters do this. When I asked the question regarding type of casting (above) Spey was not in Maryann's reply.

The first place I would go to discus line wts for this rod, is Pac Bay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 07:46PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 04:47PM

The skill of the fly caster aside, the potential distance depends as much (or more) upon the line as upon the rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 05:13PM

i am with Bill on this
The rod and the rods action will tell you what line works and loads well with it

But you should try several lines to see how the rod - FEELS - to your casting

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 05:26PM

Maryann,
I suspect that if you had a rocket assissted lure on the end of the line as you cast, you could likely get a bit over a mile.

Roger

Date: November 10, 2012 05:41PM

Sure
And if I had a time machine I can be 20 years old again LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 10, 2012 05:48PM

You hit the nail right on the head Bill B. the rod doesn't feel right, as if i can't get it to load properly.

Date: November 10, 2012 06:17PM

Try a heavier line on it
just because it is marked as an 7 wt does not mean it casts well with a 7 wt line
Go 8 or even a 9 line

Rods I consider as a spring And it takes a certain weight to load them be it a fly line or lure weight, and give the performance and distance some prefer Which may be different then others prefer

You are also saying it is a Med - Action It may be - Over Rated ???

A CCS rating will give you a better idea of what is good for the rod or blank

Or some one here who has built it and knows

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 07:33AM

Maryann,
Sorry for butting in here but this is a bit of a pet peeve that I have. The term "switch rod" was, and should be, meant to describe a rod that is designed to be casted either overhead (OH) or anchor-point (Spey). While a light TH rod can certainly be casted with one hand - why in the world would you wish to. One of the reasons to use a TH rod is to use two hands to make life easier.
May I ask - how many single hand rods do you have that are 11' long?
Respectfully,
Herb

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 11, 2012 07:33AM

Maryann,
Sorry for butting in here but this is a bit of a pet peeve that I have. The term "switch rod" was, and should be, meant to describe a rod that is designed to be casted either overhead (OH) or anchor-point (Spey). While a light TH rod can certainly be casted with one hand - why in the world would you wish to. One of the reasons to use a TH rod is to use two hands to make life easier.
May I ask - how many single hand rods do you have that are 11' long?
Respectfully,
Herb

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 12, 2012 11:10AM

Mr. Cohen,
Most of the major fly line manufacturers now make switch lines. I would recommend using a 6/7 or 7/8 rated switch line as a starting point for that rod. I would caution you against overloading the blank though. These are lightweight, higher mod blanks that can blow up if complex double handed casting techniques are used with line too heavy for the blank. My best advise would be to try a few lines (many shops will now let you do this) and let the rod tell you what it likes the best coupled with your individual casting style. Happy building.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster