I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: How many of you use drywall tape??
Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.142.223.19.nwinternet.com)
Date: November 07, 2012 06:50PM

I use masking tape on all of mine, but most are for freshwater bass fishing. I just coat it well with the glue and slide the seat on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 07:23PM

Ryan,
I doubt that the need for anything other than tape - if sealed with glue - does not differ for either fresh or salt water rods. If the arbor is not affected by moisture, then the salinity of the water is immetrial.

Roger

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: November 10, 2012 11:13AM

Masking tape for this job is a thing of the past. It will work, but there are much better tools for the same job. Just because it's been used for decades and does work, doesn't mean there isn't something superior that has made it obsolete. How many of you want to go back to slide rules?

If you consider it, dry wall mesh tape is better than masking tape in every way. It's just as convenient, it can't rot, and never deteriorates. More importantly, the holes allow epoxy to fill the spaces between the strands and forms a composite structure even better than just epoxy. Kind of like using r-bar in concrete.

Still, with that said, the poly type arbors are even better. I like drywall tape for filling small gaps here and there, but every reel seat I install has a poly arbor.

Drew

Posted by: Jim Anderson (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 12, 2012 10:21PM

I used to use masking tape and sealed it well, but I have had 3 or 4 rods come back with problems so went to adhesive drywall tape and no more problems. I also had a rod that spent two days in the saltwater when it went overboard. Blank was ok, but the reel seat was toast, and that rod was over 4 years old, but the tape went to mush. So now nothing but drywall tape for me.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster