I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

old south bend cane rod rebuild help
Posted by: Bryan Goertzen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 05, 2012 09:07PM

ive got an old 50's south bend bamboo rod that im thinking of coverting into a drifting rod for rainbows. i just dont know if its worth it to strip down and make it happen. the action is awsome for what i want. if anybody has a bit of input that would be great im on the fence here

bry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: old south bend cane rod rebuild help
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 09:25PM

I've re-done a few of those as fly rods.
On all of mine, reel seats and grips were pretty bad. I just used the blanks. It's easy to scrape of the old varnish, using a razor blade, held at a little more than 90 degrees. Coat with Permagloss.
Take a look at your ferrules. If they are damaged, you will have a difficult time finding South Bend replacements, especially in an 11/64ths male, although you may find some current metal ferrules that can work, with some mods to existing ferrule stations
Splits in the bamboo strips are easy to fix with Titebond 3. Spread the strips with straight pins or sewing needles; apply glue; remove pins, and wrap with thread, until dry.
"Warps" or sets in the bamboo sections can be removed with careful application of heat (I like a heat gun on low setting--be careful) and bending in opposite direction of warp.
These can be fun projects, as long as you realize that even a very well made bamboo rod will not have the performance of graphite, and it will be considerably heavier, as well.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Bryan Goertzen (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 05, 2012 09:35PM

im not really concerned about performance i usually drift with a float so i dont have to feel a bite. will it hold up to a couple hundred frisky rainbows a year?

Date: November 05, 2012 11:11PM

bamboo is very durable; I would imagine it'll do just fine. One of mine was used for 30 years to soak minnows to catch northern pike and walleye, before I reclaimed it, straightened it out, and turned it back into a 5wt. trout stick.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 11:18PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Bryan Goertzen (192.197.54.---)
Date: November 06, 2012 09:05AM

thanks man ill let ya know how its comin along

Date: November 06, 2012 09:53PM

Good luck. Feel free to contact me via e-mail, if you need help, have questions, etc.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster