I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How many of you use drywall tape??
Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 07:56PM

How many of you use Drywall tape for reel and grip arbors? Also how does regular masking tape work if you have to build up the blank 1/8 of an inch or more? Or do i need graphite arbors??

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many of you use drywall tape??
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 08:04PM

I use polyurethane arbor when possible. Other than that, it is drywall tape for me.

Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 08:11PM

I use drywall tape. Masking tape will also work fine just make sure you really goop on the epoxy so everything is waterproof. Sometimes I use arbors..... The choice is yours. They all work fine.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 08:21PM

new at bulding rods , but they all work , I have used them all

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 08:25PM

masking tape for small spacers or Drywall tape for larger gaps

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 05, 2012 08:26PM

Hi Kevin,
Depends on the gap between the blank and the seat. For a small gap I favour tape, just make sure you do what George has said, ie make sure the tape is completely covered with epoxy. For larger gaps I've used both tape and arbors and theyt work fine. Arbors are a problem if you have got a small gap as it can break easily when thin or if the reaming isn't centred. Never tried drywall tape but it will also work ok and a lot use it. There are choices and you can use whatever suits the application best. There isn't a method that you have to use. Whatever you use make sure the epoxy fully covers everything and that the blank and the inside of the seat has a water break free surface.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 08:42PM

Masking tape is paper. I would shy away from using it for even the smallest of gaps. Instead, I would (and have) use scotch tape. It does not deteriorate in any way, shape or form. Just be sure to totally encapsulate the tape with epoxy or whatever bonding agent you prefer to use. If the gap you need to take up is substantial, I would recommend an arbor consisting of either graphite, polyurethane, or even cork.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 05, 2012 09:25PM

If the space to be taken up is slight, say less than 1/8th inch around, try using thread or cord, in tight spirals along the length of the seat to be mounted. Coat with epoxy and install seat.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 10:20PM

By "drywall tape" do you mean adhesive fiberglass mesh, or do you mean paper drywall joint tape?

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2012 10:31PM

I would shy away from masking tape, even if you really use a lot of epoxy to make it totally waterproof, you really can never tell if it is, you can't see thru the reel seat. I also use thread for small gaps and if it is a large gap I will use a graphite or poly arbor.
I'll give you a couple of examples. If I have a 5wt fly rod blank with a butt diameter of .365 and my wood insert with the hardware has an inside diameter of .375, I'll use size A thread in the method Tom K describes to make up the space. Next case is an 8wt blank that might have a butt diameter of lets say .410. I may want to use an American Tackle AW12 the graphite insert, now I'm not totally sure what the inside diameter is, but it is a pretty good amount. I'll take a poly full length arbor, put it on my 1/4" mandrel in the lathe and sand it down so it slips into the reel seat, epoxy it in, then ream it to fit the butt section, then epoxy that onto the blank. Nice solid mount.
Now the neat thing about using thread or cord (fly line backing also works great) is that you may have several different sizes on hand that will work with relation to the amount of gap you need to take up.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 10:41PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By "drywall tape" do you mean adhesive fiberglass
> mesh, or do you mean paper drywall joint tape?

Adhesive glass tape.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 12:20AM

Kevin,
Use the appropriate material that you want to use for an arbor. The material really makes no difference at all, as long as you use a method to keep the arbor the same shape and size after 10 years of use, as it was on the day that the rod was built.

You can use paper, cardboard, plastic, wood, cork, EVA, lead, steel, aluminum, tin, brass, masking tape, friction tape, adhesive tape, drywall tape, fiberglass, carbon fiber, poly arbors,

Just use the material that works for you, makes sense to you to use, and has the right weight and ability to center a blank long term and keep it there for years of use.

Good luck

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 03:38AM

I use foam arbors when ever possible,if I run out I use dry wall tape. It is a bit messy though you need to keep a lot of dna very close by. I certainly would keep away from most of the above post. I` m not saying they can`t work, I just would not try them.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 03:39AM by Bill Eshelman.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 08:32AM

Small, tight gaps = thread or cord plus paste epoxy

Medium gaps (1/8") = fiberglass, self adhesive dry wall tape layered with epoxy. Although I also use poly spacers from time to time under reel seats if I want to shave off weight.

Large gaps (over 1/4") = buy a better fitting part.

I stopped using masking tape about 10 years ago because the fiberglass tape is simply better and just as easy to use. I also stopped using cardboard shims and tubes because I saw too many saltwater rods come in for "spinning reel seats" with cardboard under them. Turned down wood or plastic arbors will work - but they are heavier and involve another step (or two) to get a good fit.

Scotch / shipping (clear thick "scotch") / strapping (nylon stranded) / tapes. I've never used them but can see where they might work.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 06, 2012 08:44AM

Roger is correct, you can use almost anything as long as it fits correctly and is installed correctly. Case in point, several years ago my wife bought me a 30lb game rod for christmas and it has sevred me well and caught a few really nice fish. A couple of months ago I was looking at it and deciding if I would rebuild it. Closer inspection showed the double roller was just starting to move and the end of the foregrip was spilt so it was rebuild time. When I removed the foregrip I found that it had no epoxy from about halfway, lucky it was a snug fit. When that was removed I checked the reelseat and found the top of it was moving also. When I got it off I found it had two different arbors. The top one was some sort of cardboard which had virtually no epoxy on it and it had started to rot. The bottom arbor was some sort of tape, not masking tape and it had very little epoxy on it. There wasn't a great deal of epoxy between the arbors and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. The rod came from a very reputable manufacturer who are still in business.
Last year I stripped a rod I built for my son about 15 years ago and had seen a fair bit of use in the salt. The reelseat was a @#$%& to get off despite being spiral cut, the epoxy had bonded very well to the seat and the blank. It had fairly large masking tape arbors and the tape was in as good a condition as the day it went on.
Weight and ease of use are prime considerations when selecting material for an arbor but the instalation method decides how it will last. Do it properly and it will last a very long time. Do it wrong and you mighten get your first fish with it. I've seen that happen where a reelseat came loose on the first use of a game rod, not pretty.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 08:48AM

Regardless of diameter I have to build to, I ONLY use masking tape. I used to use drywall tape until I had a malfunction. When I dissected it, it didn't look good. I have never had a failure on shims made out of masking tape, and with some of my builds, the shims are ¼" or larger. If the tape is covered and sealed, water will never get to it.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 09:00AM

I use 1/4' tape for small spaces If I have to go more then 8 turns of tape around the blank I glue in an arbor
Easy and cleaner then drywall
Prep the area where it will sit 220 - 320 sandpaper Then three arbors of tape pushing the glue up the sides of the tape prep the inside of the seat also for better grip

If you use the tape put the seat on and turn it in the direction of the tape was wrapped on or you will lift the tape edge and have a heck of a time getting it off

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 09:02AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 11:26AM

Bill,
Sounds like the perfect receipe and is very simlar to what I acrtually do as well.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 11:28AM

Quality mines think alike LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike taillefer (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 07, 2012 12:30PM

i still use masking tape on light wt rods but i leave space between the tape wraps to fill with epoxy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster