I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broken Rod
Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 30, 2012 11:03PM

Hi Guys,

I have a broken MHX heavy action 7' rod.

What do you think about reusing the handle section for another rod?

Say an 8' crank bait rod. I am hoping to insert about 6" of a 7' crank bait blank
into the handle of the broken rod.

Mikew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broken Rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 30, 2012 11:14PM

you can do lots of things, but why not just buld a new rod , or are you in love with that handle an have to have that hande that is well used an crudey with fish slim an scales ?????????

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-208.myvzw.com)
Date: October 31, 2012 12:27AM

Not covered under the warranty?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 12:29AM

The short answer is YES you can re-use the handle from the broken rod.

You would have to insert the new blank in the handle from the butt end and of course fit it correctly.

Frankly though, the draw-backs IMHO out weigh the benefit of such a build unless the motive is speed and cost savings entirely.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2012 08:26AM

Yes it can be done
You can the old blank off at the front on the handle leaving about an inch or two of blank past the for grip. Allowing you to do a thread wrap at the end for strength just as you would on the Ferrell of a multiple piece blank.

remove the old but cap slide the new blank up inside the old and mark where it is at the front of the old handle.
Then cut the new blank leaving about 5 inches inside the handle (this will cut down on some of the extra weight)

Once you apply epoxy it will slide about 1/2 inch or so further out then when dry fitted it.
One thing you want to do is to make sure the blank tapers are similar for a good fit.

This is similar to how the extendable flipping stick blanks are made, and have been working for many years.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 12:57PM

Mike,
You can also use a larger handle to fit into the butt piece of a broken rod, without stripping the other blank.

Just have a handle id diameter large enough at the tip of the fore grip to allow you to slide the old rod into the larger handle.
Then, just build up the diameter of the old rod with tape to match the diameter of the butt section. Whenever I use tape to build up a blank, I will leave a space between the rows of tape to allow the glue to form adhesive ridges to properly secure the blank to the material to which you are gluing the blank.
Give it a good coating of epoxy, slip it in and you are done with the repair and the rod.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Peter Genna (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 02:14PM

Make sure you find the spine of the blank and line it up with the reel seat

Posted by: Mike Wiles (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2012 06:28PM

I spent a lot of time on the split grip mesquite handle including a hologram wrap in-between. So, I would like to reuse it if I can.

I have not heard yet form MHX guys if they will cover the cost of the blank.

Thanks for all of the ideas.
Mikew

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.mem.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 31, 2012 09:55PM

Mike MHX have been very good warranty wise but be aware its a warranty of what they sell not what you do, its not insurance.
I too have been in your position. Knowing I will never reproduce what you had took an 822.5 i had lying around which just happened to snuggly fit about midway in the seat region and turned it into another rod from what i started out to build
No good for my customer but i saved a nice snake inlay and have a ok stick for flounder and pompano.
But be aware, it will never ever be what you started out to build, its heavier and in the 822.5 case longer by almost a ft and much faster.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2012 12:22AM

Lou,
Exactly what I did with the broken rod from my clients who have broken virtually new rods.

Too much time and money invested into the handle to throw it away.
As you point out, it is pretty easy to do. You just have to go to a lighter and smaller diameter blank that will fit inside the current blank, at the end of the fore grip.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster