I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Tops
Posted by: Ed Fontes (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2012 03:21PM

I would like some advice on tip top gluing, for my spinning and lighter rods I use regular tip top adhesive, on my offshore rods I am using two part epoxy, the problem with the epoxy is that once its on and dry its on and sometimes customers change their mind or worse I mess up and I can't get the top off without ruining the blank. I would like to know what others are doing for the heavy tops, I'm not sure the regular adhesive is strong enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Tops
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2012 03:38PM

I typically use hot melt glue, then carry the tiptop trim wrap up and over the tiptop tube, which is then coated with thread wrap epoxy. To remove such a tiptop, you cut the trim wrap, peel the epoxy off, then use light heat to remove the tiptop. I can't say I've ever had one fail.

Do make sure that you get some adhesive up inside of the tiptop tube. If you simply smear it on the rod blank tip, most of it will be pushed out of the joint when the tiptop is slid on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 24, 2012 03:53PM

Ed,
Simple solution.
If you have read the forum before, you will have read about the rubber band method to remove tip tops.
Basically a paper clip is run through a rubber band. The other end of the rubber band is looped over a stick to hole when the band is stretched. Then, the paper clip is clipped through the tip top.

The rubber band is stretched out very tight, and the tip is heated. If you use a jet burner, or soldering iron to only heat the tip, you can quickly heat up the epoxy glued tip such that the binder will quickly snap the tip off the blank with no damage to the blank at all.

Holding the band taunt with the stick keeps the hot tip from flying off and hitting your hand.

A few examples of a jet lighter which directs a small high intensity flame at a very small area:

[www.amazon.com]

We use this excellent method all of the time when channging epoxy glued on tips and have never had a blank damaged.

Excellent method.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 03:56PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 24, 2012 04:37PM

I use the paper clip and also a Candle to heat the tip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 24, 2012 07:04PM

We usually use 5 minute epoxy on the heaviest rods, otherwise Flex Coat hi-temp tip top glue as Tom says.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 24, 2012 07:06PM

I have fished light to medium class salt water all my life (up to 40# class). I have never had a problem with normal rod tip hot melt glue. I always have a stick and a lighter in my tackle box. I like the ability to make a quick and easy repair on the water.

If I was looking for something between the normal hot melt and two part epoxy I'd look at the higher temp hot melt used in the archery field. It might be just what you are looking for.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 24, 2012 08:15PM

I do that same as Mr. Kirkman

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: October 25, 2012 07:14AM

Ed,

I do as Ron does. I believe it may have been operator error for myself with the hot melt, however; I found when my rods were laid out on the deck of the boat in the heat of the Central Valley of California, they would occasionally come loose. As I don't wrap my tiptops, I switched to 5 min epoxy. I made the switch 7 years ago and I' ve not had a single top come loose.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 25, 2012 10:05AM

Another vote for the 5 min epoxy. It works very well, and can be removed easily with the heat and rubber band method described above. Just one less thing to worry about. The only issue with the rubber band method is to not count on finding the tip-top after wards. There are at least 2 in my garage somewhere...

Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster