I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My Mind is playing tricks on me - Help
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 06:46PM

Here's the deal. I've got a 6ft Gaff blank that has some taper to it. My goal is this - To make it a 4 piece Gaff blank that will screw together.....don't ask me how yet. Here's MY issue. Due to the taper....how do I ensure that my cut will be perpendicular to the blank?

If I use a chop saw...and place the blank against the back rest...I won't get a 90 degree cut.....due to the taper. Or will I?

If i use a sawzall butted against the blank....will this provide a 90 degree cut to the blank?

What other options do I have? Tape two together in opposite directions?

It seems very simple, but is messin with my head.

Could be the Friday eve. bourbon working its magic too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Mind is playing tricks on me - Help
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 07:00PM

depending on what you will use to glue into each piece i would take 1/4' tape run it around the blank Make the cuts
Clean up

i am a Bud man myself LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 19, 2012 07:09PM

How does the 1/4" tape ensure a perpendicular cut to the blank?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2012 07:21PM

Building up with tape to the approximate diameter and then placing the blank along the fence, the increased diameter at the tape should equal out the taper of the blank.

Date: October 19, 2012 07:23PM

Now it makes sense....thanks for the replies.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 08:33PM

Jess,
I assume that the taper is not huge on the blank.
If that is the case, put the blank against the chop saw guide and chop it off. Be sure that you have an abrasive cut off wheel on the chop saw so that you don't splinter the blank.

If you want to get a permenant attachment, I think that I would just glue in a solid aluminum tube into the smallest diameter of the two piece blank. Use a 4-6 inch overlap, by trimming the appropriate amount of material off of one blank or the other.

Then, go ahead and slip the two blanks together.

Take a drill press in a drill press vise and drill a 1/8th inch hole through both blanks and through the solid aluminum bar. Then, drop in a 1/8th inch pin with a snap over end on it to secure the two blanks.

I would doubt that the pin sticking out of the side of the blank would cause you any issues would it?

Roger

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 03:31PM

make sure the imaginary center of the tube is level on a couple of sets of rollers. wraping a tape line is a good idea, just make sure you put an arrow to the edge of the tape where you wish to make your cut. Otherwise it is easy to cut on the wrong side of the tape!!

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: October 20, 2012 06:44PM

In addition to adding the tape, take a little torpedo level to get it level. If it's level, the chop saw/miter saw, should come down perpendicular to it (that is if the saw is adjusted properly). This should give you a squared cut.

*be sure one end of the level is on the blank and the other is on the tape used to shim it up. I believe this will get you square.

jwr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2012 07:07PM by Jeremy Reed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster