I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ngc spacing without reel?
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 08:38AM

Good Morning from Southwest FLA.

I have two rods that i am rebuilding. Problem is the owners don't have reels for them. I have prompted them to get reels to no avail. Should i build them and then tell them what reel to get?
One is a 7'6'' St Croix. I am thinking i set guides up for a 3000 size reel and if they go up one or down one size it should be ok? Your thoughts.

The other rod is a Shimano c-c-c oh i forget the name. it is a 6'4'' rod, because 8'' was snapped off the tip. Due to the modified blank length it is a very stiff fast action. Not sure what to do with this one. It could easily handle a 4000 size reel, but not sure how it woull balance then. I would use if for scrap and build a new one but it was brand new and handle is perfect condition. I stripped it down because the owner wants a Florida Gator theme and brown didn't work. What do y'all think about this one.

Thank you in advance for the replies.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ngc spacing without reel?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 11:54AM

Jim,
Simply put, I really never set up guides based on a particular reel.

I do this simply because I have seen over the years so many folks use many many different reels on the same rod, if it is a favorite rod and if it is owned for a long time. Reels come and go, reels come in different shapes and sizes. But a good rod can be kept for a very long time.

So, in general, I set up a rod with optimum guides and optimum guide spacing for the reel that would be commonly used on a rod of this size. Then if the user uses that particular sized reel, or one reel up or down in size they will still be in good shape.

I know that personally, I use many different reels on the same rod, depending on the mood, what line is on a particular reel, and what fish I am targeting with the rod at the time.

I generally go fishing without reels on any of my rods. I keep my reels in a reel bag. Then, depending on the circumstance, will put the reel on the rod that I want to use for the minute and go from there. But if conditions change, I will swap reels, rather than swapping spools. I just find it much quicker and easier to swap a reel than swap a reel spool.

Roger

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 12:18PM

Thanks for the input Roger,
Thats what i was thinking, perhaps I will use the GPS from Anglers Resource and tweek from there.

js

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2012 01:43PM

Since the line is coming off the reel, and the reel spool diameter has almost everything to do with butt guide sizing and placement, it's important to at least have some idea what size reel the customer will be using.

If the prospective owners have some idea what they'll be using the rods for (I assume they do or they wouldn't have ordered the rods) you should determine what approximate size reel is going to best suit their purpose and set the rods up for that reel, recommending to them that for best performance, they buy that size reel.

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 01:55PM

Tom,
Thats what i was wanting a confirmation on. i figure a 3000 for the st croix which is medium and a 4000 for the other because it is a heavy.
Both rods will be used inshore for Reds & Trout. The shorter Stiffer Gator Themed rod will spend more of its time in his ''gator room'' den for a decoration.
js

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster