I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2012 09:17PM

Has anyone had a problem with color preserver not soaking into the tread. I had some u 40 close to a year now could it be going bad?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver
Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 15, 2012 09:25PM

I just used some U-40 Color Lock 2 today and had no problem with it. It soaked in just fine. I do think I and going to start using nothing but NCP thread as soon as all of my non NCP thread is gone.

Jerry

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 09:55PM

The liquid in CPs soaks in while the solids which prevent the darkening of the thread stay on the surface. The solvent based version of Rod Dancers may be an exception to that statement. Perhaps someome from Rod Dancer will chime in to explain their Cp.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 08:38AM

Being old it may have dried up a little Try adding about 10 - drops - of water to 2-3 ccs since it is water based Try that on a piece of scrap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: October 16, 2012 09:16AM

Our CP is also Water Based, currently we don't offer a solvent based product. But for obvious reasons I like Chromaseal the best of all I tried over the years.
Thanks

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 06:24PM

Chromaseal works fine for me also,no problems

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 06:36PM

You didn't say that you had a problem, just asked if anyone else did. Did you try the CP on some wraps? I have had this product for over 30 years and never had a problem. Be specific in your question and you will get better answers.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 16, 2012 09:08PM

the tread got darker around the gap from hook keeper and also around the guides but ive never had a problem before till now. think it might be time to order some new u 40 and start over on the rod

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2012 09:36PM

When I have had trouble with darkening of some of the areas treated with CP, I think it was due to insufficient drying time between coats or not enough coats of Cp. Also, some threads are more demanding than others, especially the lighter colors of thread. There are some CP's that are sold as "clear" products that require very long times between coats. While it is time consuming and inconvenient, you need to test whenever you go outside your norm of experience.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 20, 2012 09:36PM

When I have had trouble with darkening of some of the areas treated with CP, I think it was due to insufficient drying time between coats or not enough coats of Cp. Also, some threads are more demanding than others, especially the lighter colors of thread. There are some CP's that are sold as "clear" products that require very long times between coats. While it is time consuming and inconvenient, you need to test whenever you go outside your norm of experience.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 01:52PM

Mr Danek is right on with his post. You should also make sure the first coat of CP is a good soaking coat. You can always wick off any excess that might start to run with a dry or well wiped brush. Give at least 24 hours or more for any CP to dry.

Posted by: Matthew Nelson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 29, 2012 02:41AM

I dont use CP on anything anymore after having some bad expeiences with it. Just to clarify drying time was not the issue. I have also done rod repairs where CP was used and have come to some real conclusions. Color preserver blocks the epoxies ability to soak into and flow through the thread and bond with the blank. It also might cause black thread to not be true black after the epoxy has cured. This has happened every time with multiple brands. Here is what happens. Color preserver creates a coating by soaking into the thread and filling any voids in the thread and between the thread and adheres (very weak bond) to the blank. For a lack of better discription its like watered down elmers glue. So there is little structural strength in that bond. Since it prevents the epoxy from soaking through you get no structural benifit from the epoxy bonding the guide foot to the blank. Epoxy is what bonds the guide foot and the nylon filament of the thread provides strength. Its like packing tape with and without the fiberglass mesh. one is strong and the other is weak.

I have put the two methods to test and proven that there is a significant difference in bonding. My fix was to wrap ten wraps of every thread I have on a scrap piece of gloss black blank. Then label each wrap in the space aloted between them with the color number and whether it is NCP or not. Then epoxy over the entire area. When done a perfect color stick and you know how each of you threads look for reference. I know not using color preserver is not what the manufacturers want to here but it does interfere with the bonding of the epoxy just by nature of how it works and that cant be argued.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster