I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aftcote?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: October 15, 2012 05:44PM

Last year at the magazine reception I won a kit of the new Aftcote epoxy finish. The guy in the Aftco booth told me the next day that it was a completely new formulation and was very improved over the original. I'm just getting around to trying it and so far so good. I wonder if any others of you out there have tried it and have any comments on it. I have only done one rod job with it so far and have no idea what to expect long term in clarity or coloration, hardness, and all that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 05:45PM by Ken Finch.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aftcote?
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 12:11AM

As far as using aftcoat I love it. It seemed to fit my style perfectly. For that reason I have stuck with it. We all know finishes act differently and our technique needs to conform or we need to find a finish that works better for your application preferences. Aftcoat was that finish for me. Good pot life, low bubble retention, flexible, and excellent at self leveling.

Some times you would think that I was whipping it to a froth when mixing and I have been known to just glop it on a wrap and let it sag, drip, and level. It just does what it is supposed to.

Works for me. Everyone has their favorites...

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: October 16, 2012 09:31AM

Thanks. Have you noticed any long term yellowing or anything else that I might need to be aware of? I do like the way it handles and goes on. Very easy to use.

Date: October 16, 2012 11:35AM

I tend not to use very light colors so I have no issues with yellowing...but I wouldn't really see it very well anyway.

Date: October 16, 2012 11:35AM

Double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 11:37AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: October 16, 2012 01:57PM

Don't all finishes eventually yellow? I know some do it more slowly than others, or newer formulations do it more slowly than some of the older ones, but don't they all darken eventually? However, when applied thinly, how noticeable is it on the final product? It is one think to notice that the fluid in the bottle is getting brown, but after it is mixed and applied to wraps, can you tell? I have reached the point where this isn't an issue for me. Edit to add: Aftcote is on my list of products to try. As I understand it from others, it levels exceptionally well, but, in cool weather, takes a bit longer to cure, and I put a higher priority on leveling than minimal discoloration.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2012 02:00PM by Hunter Armstrong.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 05:41PM

Hi,

There are many fine finishes on the market today, maybe too many. The secret to any finish is to take the time to learn all about it especially it's idiosyncrasies. If I find a product that works I stick with it as long as I can.

I have been using Aftcote for quite a few years. It does not turn yellow, it mixes well using an electric mixer, the bubbles dissipate easily, and yes I have to rotate the rods longer in the drying box and I do use light bulbs for heat. I did a 30 day test leaving the mix from day 1 in the cup. Each day I would use my thumb nail to see if I could dent the finish. At day 30 I could still make a dent mark but just barely. This told me what I wanted to know. The drying action was slow and stayed softer longer than other finishes at the time. I feel that this little inconvenience will retard cracks in the finish longer, and it does. I feel that until we get soft, flexible guide feet, cracks in the guide wrap finish will be a fact of life.

Aftcote is a very fine finish!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster